Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Best Target Ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/best-target-ammo-56914/)

Mdrums 02-03-2012 12:50 PM

Best Target Ammo?

I looked around the forum and couldn't find my answer. I'm new at this and was at a gun shop today that told me not to use the Winchester White Box ammo in my Glock or my wife's M&P because it is cheap dirty ammo. They said it really dirtys the gun mechanism, cause failures and wear.

For target practice...and the wifey and I are doing a lot of practice...but we have money to spend on ammo...so a few extra dollars for something better doesn't affect us.....I don't want to waste money but would rather have a quality bullet go through our guns.

What is the more cleaner, better shooting ammo,for target practice?

Also while I'm at it what would be the absolute best SD ammo for a Glock G27 .40s&w and a M&P compact 9mm?

silverado113 02-03-2012 12:57 PM

I use Winchester for plinking and haven't had any problems. It's just like anything else and how you take care of your weapons in my opinion. I usually clean my weapons right after I shoot or the next day at the very latest. Blazer is good cheap target ammo too.

Ranger-6 02-03-2012 01:59 PM

I like using FMJ for target. For the .40 JCP and .45 JHP, I normally use Federal, PMC, or TulAmmo, which ever is cheaper at the time of purchase. Today is range day, I plan to shoot Phoenix HP22 using CCI, and Hi-Point .380 CF using RWS.

Overkill0084 02-03-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdrums (Post 698058)
I looked around the forum and couldn't find my answer. I'm new at this and was at a gun shop today that told me not to use the Winchester White Box ammo in my Glock or my wife's M&P because it is cheap dirty ammo. They said it really dirtys the gun mechanism, cause failures and wear.

For target practice...and the wifey and I are doing a lot of practice...but we have money to spend on ammo...so a few extra dollars for something better doesn't affect us.....I don't want to waste money but would rather have a quality bullet go through our guns.

What is the more cleaner, better shooting ammo,for target practice?

Also while I'm at it what would be the absolute best SD ammo for a Glock G27 .40s&w and a M&P compact 9mm?

WWB exceedingly dirty? Dogwash! WWB is fine. While not as clean as some, it's better than others. The whole clean vs. dirty thing is BS if you clean your weapon at responsible intervals. Glocks and other duty type pistols aren't particularly fussy that way.
The guy that told you this, he sells ammo, right?
As for the best target ammo? That depends on your priorities. Is extreme accuracy important? Does it shoot to point of aim in your gun? Reliability?
FWIW, before I started reloading, I found that WWB was a pretty good compromise. It cycled in everything and it grouped better than Wal-Mart federal in all my guns. YMMV.

Mdrums 02-03-2012 03:00 PM

Thanks...yeah I'm a clean and detail freak. I get teased because I clean my new Glock after every range use...but that is me.

Yes of course I want accuracy but I'm new at this and still learning but I do pretty darn good hitting my target. I've been practicing a drill where my paper target is at 3yrd and then 7yrd and I have the gun laying on the range bench in front of me and I pick it up and quickly fire off 2 to the chest and 1 head shot....but again this is all new for me and I'm learning and just want the best ammo for my guns

vincent 02-03-2012 03:20 PM

I've never known my Glocks to be picky eaters. They've been fed WWB, Federal, and Blazers...I just bit the bullet (pun intended) and bought a case of the Blazers, 1000 for around $400 ish. If you want the most for your buck, buying in bulk is the way to go. Let's face it, if you shoot, it's gonna get dirty no matter what ammo you choose. Since you seem to have good cleaning habits, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Also I've heard some say the Glocks don't like unjacketed ammo...which makes sense...but I've only run FMJ's through mine...

SD ammo is a whole different ball of wax...tons of choices and finding the right one for you can be a pricy process. Right now I'm "using" the Powerballs in my .40 and .45's..."best" is subjective I suppose...:cool:

Jeepergeo 02-03-2012 05:45 PM

I've used a lot of Winchester White Box ammunition in a variety of big boy toys and have not noticed it being any "dirtier" than other rounds, even some pretty expensive stuff.

I suggest you shoot a box of two of WWB and see for yourself. IMO, the WWB ammo is reasonably priced and a good value.

Thinking back, I don't even recall ever having a Failed to Fire from a WWB round, certainly not recently.

BlueTurf 02-04-2012 12:43 AM

I have shot lots of the Winchester White Box ammo in 9mm, .44 mag, .45acp and .308 and have had good results with it. I have not noticed any of it being any dirtier than other popular factory ammo. I clean my firearms after each use so I don't let them get very dirty with any ammo.

Mdrums 02-04-2012 02:33 AM

I'm currently shoot WWB ammo and have a box of Federal target ammo too I tried out. I couldn't tell a difference at this point in my beginning shooting career.

robocop10mm 02-05-2012 03:28 PM

Dirty? You want dirty? The Eastern Bloc ammo is dirty. Remington green box is dirty.

Don't let that moron get to you. You clean after each range session. Any ammo will be fine unless your range sessions are 2,000 rounds long.