Best self defence ammo for .380 cal - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best self defence ammo for .380 cal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 05:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

i would recomend the federal HST rounds. although im not a 100% sure they make them for the .380, but a good site to look at some terminal ballistics is www.brassfetcher.com. they cover most pistol/revolver rounds as well as many rifle rounds.

"the tree of liberty has to be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants...."

"on the seventh day god created the model 700 for killing dinosaurs."

Last edited by dicky0331; 12-06-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco102 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys but I am going to try federal Hydra shock and then Corbon.
Not so fast there rocco! While your there pick up a pack of Glaser Blue Safety Slugs. Will not penetrate sheetrock walls, will not ricochet due to fragmentation design and has excellent soft tissue penetration with awesome wound channel capabilities.
And will feed reliably into any weapon.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 12-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #13

Me I prefer Hollow Points because HP seems to me to be the best self defense round available. Most of the time the attacker will be scared off if you have any gun in your hand so I see no problem with 'penetration' with HP.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #14

Default bobkreeger

Go to buffalobore.com and look at their 90 gr HP +p load. That's what I carry.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:35 AM   #15

If you're down to a .380 for defense, you're way too close. At this range it wont matter a flipin whit what your feeding the little bugger. Just stick it in his ear and squeeze. An armpit works pretty well too, it just takes a few more rounds and a bit longer for the fight to be over. Just make sure you get contact with the muzzel. Never had to resort to that little wart on my ankle. Hope I never will, but it's sure reassuring to know it's there.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #16

a lot of good info here...
I'm new to .380's, just bought my first .380 gun (Kahr P.380) a couple of month's ago. This topic has been very helpful, thanks to all

Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Nice rifle, UnderFire!

I shoot Remington Golden Saber. I have seen the newer Hornady Critical Defense and have some. I shot through cloth with both the Hornady and the Remington. I like the Remington better. Both expanded even after going through cloth. It's just the Golden Saber did not fold back so much as the Hornady. There are some pictures on my web site that show examples of the expanded bullets.
GS shoot very tight groups as well. Even if you have 6 inches of penetration, think of where that might put it in YOUR body. Figure your liver area and use your finger. think of having a bullet stuck in there at least 6 inces or more down in there and I don't want it, and certainly will be a deterent with most criminals, with the exception of drug induced pain prevention.

Hit someone right at the sternum with the .380 in Golden Saber and they are going to have a hard time making it to the hospital alive.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"