Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Best Places To Buy Ammunition..... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/best-places-buy-ammunition-34744/)

soundhd 11-24-2010 10:28 PM

Best Places To Buy Ammunition.....

Getting back into shooting (been awhile..over 30 years)......been looking around to see what ammo costs now days (45 APC FMJ target - Winchester White Box....going to be saving the brass for reloading later...that really is the cheapest way to go in the long run as far as I can tell anyway.....).

The internet seems to be the cheapest (around $.38 a round with shipping....local FFL wants around $.40 per round)......was warned to stay away from the "big box" stores because sometimes they get "seconds" (not sure if that is true or not....that came from a local FFL...)...talked to a couple buddies that buy ammo regularly at "big box" stores, do a lot of shooting and have never had a problem...I know ammo went up a lot after Mr. Obama got elected but has been dropping I am told.............was at local gun show a couple weeks back and did not see any deals there at all on Win White Box...Two of the local gun shops I visited were upwards around $.45 - $.48 per round...was just wondering what everyone else is getting their ammo for and from whom....thanks

JonM 11-24-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundhd (Post 391646)
Getting back into shooting (been awhile..over 30 years)......been looking around to see what ammo costs now days (45 APC FMJ target - Winchester White Box....going to be saving the brass for reloading later...that really is the cheapest way to go in the long run as far as I can tell anyway.....).

The internet seems to be the cheapest (around $.38 a round with shipping....local FFL wants around $.40 per round)......was warned to stay away from the "big box" stores because sometimes they get "seconds" (not sure if that is true or not....that came from a local FFL...)...talked to a couple buddies that buy ammo regularly at "big box" stores, do a lot of shooting and have never had a problem...I know ammo went up a lot after Mr. Obama got elected but has been dropping I am told.............was at local gun show a couple weeks back and did not see any deals there at all on Win White Box...Two of the local gun shops I visited were upwards around $.45 - $.48 per round...was just wondering what everyone else is getting their ammo for and from whom....thanks

buying the brass unloaded new and loading from unused is cheapest way to get your brass. you have a consistant source of brass.

big box stores getting second rate name brand is not true. they just buy in very very large case lots so they can offer slightly better prices.

the very LAST place i would ever buy ammo would be a gunshow. you have no idea what the ammo actually is or how it was loaded or even if it is actually factory made or just the guy you bought it from cranking it out in his basement.

nothing wrong with your own loads because you know what is in it.

willfully armed 11-24-2010 11:12 PM

AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

CA357 11-24-2010 11:40 PM

This is the best way to find prices on line: AmmoEngine: 10mm / 10mm Auto, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

I buy WWB from Wally World whenever it's in stock and I can afford it.

billdeserthills 11-25-2010 12:50 AM

I spent my last year's last $15,000 on ammo to stock up my store. Unfortunately that was at the height of the ammo prices so you will want to steer clear of buying ammo from my shop. I plan to shoot it all & in the meanwhile I reccomend you buy from Wal-Mart, if you can keep from puking up on yourself when you spend your money there.

soundhd 11-25-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billdeserthills (Post 391714)
I spent my last year's last $15,000 on ammo to stock up my store. Unfortunately that was at the height of the ammo prices so you will want to steer clear of buying ammo from my shop. I plan to shoot it all & in the meanwhile I reccomend you buy from Wal-Mart, if you can keep from puking up on yourself when you spend your money there.

Your not the first person to mention wally world......have never been in one....I guess I should find some really dark shades (the kind with the safety sides) along with a hoodie and take a quick walk into the sports dept there and see whats up.....(I did check their web site but nothing there)

Happy Thanksgiving to all :D

JonM 11-25-2010 03:16 PM

wal-mart is my favorite store. where i live we have one grocery that has an excellent meat dept. but produce and everything else isnt very good. the closest store with clothes for men is 20miles away. closest electronics store is also 20 miles distant. books movies videos either drive or go to wal mart. before wal mart our choice was drive to milwaukee or drive to racine. soon as walmart opened tractor supply moved next door as did the dollar tree and fashion bug (ladies clothing) along with a military recruitment center.

personally i dont buy ammunition in loaded form except for self defense loads for my 1911 20 rounds once a year. i buy most of my firearms that are new from reinaman's true value in burlington. i usually give em first shot at ordering for me for things i cant get due to ffl rules.

as for sporting goods i dont buy em at wal mart. there are other places i can get reeeeeeally good deals. for example there is a store i drop by in the winter to get deals on summer fishing goods called jalinsky's in kenosha whenever im there for other reasons. last winter i bought a real nice abu garcia reel for half retail.

anything that makes libs go insane cant be all bad.

sweeper22 11-25-2010 05:40 PM

Hit Walmart for plinking FMJ. Most Walmarts stock Fed Champion and WWB 230gr 45acp for about $.32-35/rd. I've never had a single problem with either brand, and both are reloadable.

I only order premium/defense rounds online. I prefer these two sites:

SGAmmo

Ammunition to Go

There are some good deals to be had on FMJ online as well...especially the higher end stuff like American Eagle and Speer Lawman. But when ordering in bulk the shipping charges will generally eat away at all of the incentive. If you're ordering $500+ worth, you may be able to find someone offering a "free shipping" special. Cabelas sometimes runs such deals.

CA357 11-25-2010 05:43 PM

I like SG, they're a small family business and I've always had great service from them.

whtsmoke 11-25-2010 07:53 PM

check out your local gun shops sometimes if they stock alot of ammo you can get some good prices, our local shop buys in large enough qtys that whe you walk in the pallets are on the florr and you can either buy by the box or case.
Tgis isnt always the case for everyone but check anyway and support your locl people.