You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

You've obviously never observed an autopsy, or even discussed this with a medical examiner. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Ive had to work a shooting where a guy was shot in the chest from approx. 7-8ft with #4 shot. You could stick your hand inside of his chest cavity and he was DRT. To me that is PROOF that it will work, but some people will still try and tell me that it wont work... Some of us just know better

Last edited by MrWray; 06-29-2012 at 02:33 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12082 Times on 6358 Posts
Likes Given: 11775

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Ive had to work a shooting where a guy was shot in the chest from approx. 7-8ft with #4 shot. You could stick your hand inside of his chest cavity and he was DRT. To me that is PROOF that it will work, but some people are still try and tell me that it wont work... Some of us just know better
It's a shame some of these folks haven't had to actually see some of the gruesome **** we've seen.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

after careful consideration on the matter, i will probably be going to a larger shot for my SD/HD loads. but even so, i still believe that at the distances of what most SD/HD shootings would occur at, i still wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of the shot!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #44

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Well after all this discussion I have put the list of shells below in my cart at Cheaper Than Dirt... I will probably order them this weekend. I think any would do for HD from what I'm reading and some may be a little too much but I'll have to do some test to see what I feel comfortable with.

$20.99 - Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense Load 2-3/4" #2 & #4 Duplex Load 1-1/4 Ounce 1250 fps 10 Round Box

$13.15 - Remington Express Long Range 2-3/4" #2 Lead 1-1/4 Ounce 1330 fps 25 Round Box **might skip this one

$ 4.25 - Winchester Super-X Buckshot 2-3/4" #1 Buck 16 Pellets 1250 fps 5 Round Box

$ 8.97 - Centurion Multi-Defense 2 3/4" 6 #1 Buckshot with a .650" Ball 1300 fps 10 Round Box

$ 3.42 - Federal Power-Shok Buckshot 2-3/4" Shell #00 Buck 9 Pellets 1325 fps 5 Rounds Per Box

$50.78 +
$30.37 Shipping
$81.15 Total

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 06-29-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #45

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

This isn't about the original post, just a comment about a pet peeve of mine.

Please, for the love of God, don't rack your shotgun loud enough for the bad guy to hear it!

I know it sounds strange, but hear me out. Racking a shotgun while a bad guy is in your home may very well scare him away. In fact, I would be willing to bet that 90% of the time that's the end of the story.

My concern is those who don't care. Not only have you just given up the advantage of surprise, but you very we could have just escalated the conflict from a simple snatch and grab to a deadly force scenario. A guy breaks in to your house, he has a gun. He's tweaked out, and man that television could buy a lot of crack. *chuh-crack" as you rack the first shell. Now he knows that you know he's there and that you has a gun.... Well, this didn't go as planned, time to draw the piece and shoot back!

It happens, guys. Don't rack the shotgun in a loud fashion, try to be quiet. I wouldn't want to take the risk of tipping the BG off that it's a deadly force type of night until he's staring down the barrel. Be smart.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #46

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Interesting ryevick, the one that's half the price of the others, which I've recommended on occassion for minimal size shot at minimal potential ranges, is the one you might skip. The Duplex I don't think can be any better but is pricey alloy...

Oh, and, here's #4 birshot, again, at three feet, for the medical examiners reacting to gruesome looking wounds above. #8 shot penetrates about half that at that range...
bird_4_a.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.
oli700 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
This isn't about the original post, just a comment about a pet peeve of mine.

Please, for the love of God, don't rack your shotgun loud enough for the bad guy to hear it!

I know it sounds strange, but hear me out. Racking a shotgun while a bad guy is in your home may very well scare him away. In fact, I would be willing to bet that 90% of the time that's the end of the story.

My concern is those who don't care. Not only have you just given up the advantage of surprise, but you very we could have just escalated the conflict from a simple snatch and grab to a deadly force scenario. A guy breaks in to your house, he has a gun. He's tweaked out, and man that television could buy a lot of crack. *chuh-crack" as you rack the first shell. Now he knows that you know he's there and that you has a gun.... Well, this didn't go as planned, time to draw the piece and shoot back!

It happens, guys. Don't rack the shotgun in a loud fashion, try to be quiet. I wouldn't want to take the risk of tipping the BG off that it's a deadly force type of night until he's staring down the barrel. Be smart.
Tood, i have to disagree simply because most pump shotguns require a forceful racking in order to chamber a round. most if you tried gently and quietly to chamber a round, it might not do so. now this leaves you with the option of leaving one chambered and using the safety, or forcefull racking the slide and making noise.

i will say this, if in the event that an intruder hears my shotgun slide racking a shell, it will in all probability be the very last sound he ever hears.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-30-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Proximity.........

To many things come into play here. How close is the intruder, is he out side or inside of your domain, are you worried about wall thickness, If you take all this into consideration you can find what you need to put the bad guy down in the first shot. I'm not taking chances, my walls will stop shot gun blast. So I have my Ben loaded with 3.5 00 buck magnum......40 yards or point blank......
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #49

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Interesting ryevick, the one that's half the price of the others, which I've recommended on occassion for minimal size shot at minimal potential ranges, is the one you might skip. The Duplex I don't think can be any better but is pricey alloy...

Oh, and, here's #4 birshot, again, at three feet, for the medical examiners reacting to gruesome looking wounds above. #8 shot penetrates about half that at that range...
The only reason I said I may skip that #2 shot is the "long range" it has... I would like to keep it to a lower fps if possible. I want to try and keep the load in my target if possible. May something like this:

$25.06 - Remington Nitro Magnum 2-3/4" #2 Buffered Lead 1-1/2 Ounce 1260 fps 25 Round Box

I'm also not sure how relevant a 3 ft test is. How many encounters are really settled 3 feet away?

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 06-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #50

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I wish that i had some of that fancy gelatin to mess with :-)