Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gig Harbor,WA
Posts: 819
Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Default

00 buck for me, will work for all threats be it 2 legged or 4, has great track record, and affordable as well as plentiful

__________________
phildenton is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gmaster456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 485
Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Default

There is no best. It depends almost entirely on your situation and location. Do your own testing to find out which load is suitable for you.

__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."-Ben Franklin

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity
gmaster456 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

gmaster;
I disagree with you. And so do you. Sounds funny, but, you tell him to test for himself. Test what, for what scenario? You have to outline the specific/most-likely use or no known one at all. In any case you have to deliberate and make a choice. If #2 Shot isn't ideal in the "average" circumstance you can certainly i.d. what is more broadly effective like #0 Buckshot.

__________________
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
gmaster;
I disagree with you. And so do you. Sounds funny, but, you tell him to test for himself. Test what, for what scenario? You have to outline the specific/most-likely use or no known one at all. In any case you have to deliberate and make a choice. If #2 Shot isn't ideal in the "average" circumstance you can certainly i.d. what is more broadly effective like #0 Buckshot.
Hock i will have to agree with Gmaster to some degree and disagree with you. simply because every shotgun and ammo can perform differently. not even going to debate different shot size, but if a person decides on using say, OO buckshot as the ammo of choice for a SD load, different brands and different firearms can behave differently in regard to recoil, POI, patterning, and how well it functions in the firearm. so yes i agree with testing to find out how well it works, how it patterns, where the POI is, what the recoil feels like. when an intruder breaks in and you have to rely on it, is not the time to wonder if everything is going to work as it should.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
44ablast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: kenosha,wisconsin
Posts: 101
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

[QUOTE="SSGN_Doc"]

BB and up would be what I consider minimum. I prefer #1 but will take 0 or 00 because it is available. 2 and 3/4 should be plenty. It'salso easier to find, affoard and is more manageable as far as recoil, and you get more shells in the tube.

No disrespect intended, but I want to comment on that last part of your post.

Gun shop Shotgun myth #1

"I'll use a shotgun for home defense because racking the slide is enough to scare anyone away without having to fire a shot."

I think this is a dangerous assumption. If someone wants to bet their life on it, I think it is a bad bet. Criminals have been shot, and don't necessarily stop. Why would someone assume the sound of a gun would automatically stop them?

Here's an article from Atlanta that helps correct this assumption:

ATLANTA NEWS 1:17 p.m. Thursday, October 27, 2011

Burglar ignores shotgun warning, is shot by Buckhead homeowner
By Mike Morris
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
A burglar who ignored a warning blast from a shotgun was shot in the leg early Thursday after breaking into a mansion on West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead, police said.
Homeowner shoots intruder
Atlanta police dispatchers received a call shortly after 2 a.m. about a burglar inside the home, which sits well off West Paces Ferry near Northside Drive.
After being awakened by his burglar alarm, the homeowner "got out of his bed and walked to the top of his steps," Atlanta police Sgt. Curtis Davenport told the AJC. "He heard someone downstairs so he went back and got his shotgun."
Davenport said that when the homeowner returned to the top of the steps, "he saw a subject coming up the steps toward him and his family. The homeowner yelled out to the unknown subject to get out of his house."
The intruder continued toward the homeowner, who fired a warning shot into the floor in front of the man.
"The subject paused, then started coming further up the stairs," Davenport said. "The homeowner fired another shot at the subject's leg."
Davenport said the intruder, 25-year-old William Leisy Jr., had entered the side door by force.
Leisy, who Channel 2 Action News reported was drunk at the time of the incident, was charged with burglary and taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in stable condition.

There's a lot of little takeaway info in this one little article.
-Burglar wasn't detered by an alarm.
-Burglar wasn't detered by armed man with a shotgun telling him to stop.
-Burglar wasn't detered by a warning shot.
-Burglar was shot.
-Burglar was drunk.

So, not knowing the state of mind of a burglar it seems pretty narrow minded to assume racking the pump on a shotgun will end a potentially bad situation.
Other errors I see from the homeowner are that he went to investigate without being armed, and then had to return to get his shotgun. He fired a warning shot (may or may not be a good idea, but I have always been trained that warning shots are not exactly smart.) He then shot to wound, a burglar who was not detered by at least three deterents.

Side note. Burglar was treated and in. stable condition. Don't know what kind of ammo was in the shotgun, but if pellets don't go to vitals, then it is a poor stopper.[/QUOTE

Im not looking for a pissing match,but the last part of my thread said " racking the slide on a pump action shot gun would stop most people in their tracks, if not WELL " I'm not narrow minded, if that sound didn't stop him 1 1/8 oz of lead center mass will. The sound of racking the slide is the only warning.

__________________
44ablast is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,617
Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Hock i will have to agree with Gmaster to some degree and disagree with you. simply because every shotgun and ammo can perform differently. not even going to debate different shot size, but if a person decides on using say, OO buckshot as the ammo of choice for a SD load, different brands and different firearms can behave differently in regard to recoil, POI, patterning, and how well it functions in the firearm. so yes i agree with testing to find out how well it works, how it patterns, where the POI is, what the recoil feels like. when an intruder breaks in and you have to rely on it, is not the time to wonder if everything is going to work as it should.
Oh, OK. Just wanna be clear -- so, you should determine which is best for you?
__________________

Last edited by HockaLouis; 06-27-2012 at 11:19 AM.
HockaLouis is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SSGN_Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,343
Liked 2178 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Default

[quote=44ablast;850605]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc


Im not looking for a pissing match,but the last part of my thread said " racking the slide on a pump action shot gun would stop most people in their tracks, if not WELL " I'm not narrow minded, if that sound didn't stop him 1 1/8 oz of lead center mass will. The sound of racking the slide is the only warning.
I got ya.

It's just that every time I hear or read someone stating that a pump shotgun being racked will make people give up, it just sets a particular pet peeve off in me.

Again no disrespect intended. No pissing match required I just wanted to be clear that folks need to be prepared to actually shoot someone if they are getting a gun out to defend themselves.

Read another account from a gun shop owner where he sold a customer a shotgun and the customer actually said he wanted no ammo for it because he only intended to use the sound to scare burglars and. Of never bring himself to actually shoot anyone.

Some gunshop myths become legends and then are eventually assumed to be facts which can become dangerous.
__________________

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 06-27-2012 at 04:47 PM.
SSGN_Doc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta,Ga.
Posts: 248
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

For HD is it better to get a lower velocity lead buckshot than plated/coated or steel buckshot? I would think so to keep the shot from going and going and being harder to stop. I am thinking #1 lead shot may be my main choice, maybe # 2 in addition to a few specialty hd rounds such as a #2 and 4 mix and a slug and 00 mix (which would be in the sling ready to load if needed).

__________________

.

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

ryevick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,496
Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
00 buck for me, will work for all threats be it 2 legged or 4, has great track record, and affordable as well as plentiful
I agree,any old timer will tell you 00,I even asked an old timer about 000,and he's like..nahhh,-00.Double-aught is the best selling for a reason,mainly because it's a proven deer dropper,and in my opinion,it's got the perfect balance of close range low penetration power with just enough weight to be effective out to and beyond 25 yards if you needed to use it that far.I'd hate to be in a gunfight where the BG was shooting at me with an AR from 40 yards out and all I had was like #4 buck,i'd be S.O.L.
__________________

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves


Last edited by ninjatoth; 06-27-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spelling
ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
cj84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 131
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth

I agree,any old timer will tell you 00,I even asked an old timer about 000,and he's like..nahhh,-00.Double-aught is the best selling for a reason,mainly because it's a proven deer dropper,and in my opinion,it's got the perfect balance of close range low penetration power with just enough weight to be effective out to and beyond 25 yards if you needed to use it that far.I'd hate to be in a gunfight where the BG was shooting at me with an AR from 40 yards out and all I had was like #4 buck,i'd be S.O.L.
I agree thats all my grandfather would let me use as a kid. (for deer)
__________________
cj84 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Best Home defense ammo 99zulu Ammunition & Reloading 4 04-23-2012 08:27 PM
home defense ammo lilrichthedragon Ammunition & Reloading 20 04-20-2012 03:27 AM
Ammo for non +P 38 special in home defense iluv2shoot2 Revolver Handguns 6 07-14-2011 03:05 PM
Home Defense 12 Gauge Loads UnderFire General Shotgun Discussion 10 06-27-2010 05:44 PM
Best Home Defense Ammo Jusselin General Handgun Discussion 38 10-08-2009 08:13 PM