Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #131
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 137 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
I have a question. Does anyone know for certain how he or she is going to act in a highly stressed situation. I am sure should the incident happen to me I will not know how I will react until the time arises, god forbid. I know from what I gather, that training is the number one rule for preparing for the uncertain, as it can prepare one for the unknown and hopefully you will revert to the training to help get you through the confrontation should the time come. Bird shot for me, if their in my house then they will be close enough to die from a lethal dose of 7 1/2 shot.

“The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.” Patrick Henry
I know how I will act/react as I have been there and won Me live Bad guy DOA

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #132

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunlover38
I personally don't like shotguns for home defence. They spray to wide and are hard to conceal. I would suggest a kimber.45 auto kimbers are very reliable.
I know this isn't the most recent post but I have to ask....

How wide do you think a shotgun would "spray" at five yards (fifteen feet, about as far as most people need to worry about for in-home defense).

Concealing for home defense is a moot point. He won't find my shotgun, which is stashed right next to the bed, before I do. Accessibility is key, not how well a firearm conceals.

Oh, and to answer the question before you say something that I think you may come to regret, the answer is.... Drumroll please..... Roughly a five inch spread. Rule of thumb, a shotgun will have a spread of roughly one inch per three feet that the shot must cover. Not all are the same, but this method of estimation will get you pretty close. That being said, your chest is much wider than 5", so I would rather shoot several .38 or so caliber bullets at you with one shot from the shotgun vs a single .45 round.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #133
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19946 Times on 11335 Posts
Likes Given: 50304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_ View Post
I know this isn't the most recent post but I have to ask....

How wide do you think a shotgun would "spray" at five yards (fifteen feet, about as far as most people need to worry about for in-home defense).

Concealing for home defense is a moot point. He won't find my shotgun, which is stashed right next to the bed, before I do. Accessibility is key, not how well a firearm conceals.

Oh, and to answer the question before you say something that I think you may come to regret, the answer is.... Drumroll please..... Roughly a five inch spread. Rule of thumb, a shotgun will have a spread of roughly one inch per three feet that the shot must cover. Not all are the same, but this method of estimation will get you pretty close. That being said, your chest is much wider than 5", so I would rather shoot several .38 or so caliber bullets at you with one shot from the shotgun vs a single .45 round.
excellent points Todd. i have no need to have to conceal my choice of firearm used in my home towards an intruder, it's my home.

as to the pattern or spread, this is why people need to go out and shoot their shotgun and learn how it patterns at different distances to see what type of spread it does have. different ammo in different shotguns will pattern differently. and the beauty of the shotgun is, that though it does need to be aimed, it doesn't require the same precision that a pistol does in order to hit the target. so IMO, the better choice for HD is the shotgun over the pistol.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #134

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegeezer View Post
I have a question. Does anyone know for certain how he or she is going to act in a highly stressed situation?
Well, yeah! Some of us are former soldiers and marines and seaman and pilots and police officers and EMT/Paramedics/firefighters. Some of us have been victims of violent crimes in the past. Some of us have been in natural disasters or other emergencies.

Yes...Some of us do know how we would react in a highly stressful situation. Some of us have had the blessing of professional training, and some of us have had to learn through traumatic experience.

The keys to survival are 2 things, IME:
1. A will to survive. You have to want to survive more than anything else. You have to believe that you CAN survive and that--dammit!--you deserve it! Believe that you WILL make sure you survive no matter what you have to do.
2. DON'T panic. You can and must control your thoughts! It IS possible to do...I've done it myself. Stop yourself. Stop your mind. Take a breath. Don't let yourself panic.

IMO, if we knew how many people died as a result of panic, we'd be startled. For example...and this could be debated but, I believe that nearly all accidental drownings are the result of panic.

Preparation, education/training, and proper equipment are beneficial and make the whole situation easy to handle; however, IMHO they are secondary to those 2 primary requirements. If you have gear and training yet you lose your mind or give up the will to fight, you'll more than likely be victimized anyway.

Remember...those hardened, bold, violent, career criminals have learned how to survive stressful situations through experience. Statistically, you are not their first violent crime victim and may not be their first kill either. You HAVE TO get yourself into a warrior mindset. You have to be willing to be extremely violent (I didn't say just BE...I said be WILLING to be if it's necessary). You have to be willing to survive even if it means challenging your personal taboos when the situation hits.

Sorry. This post was longer than intended.

[/rant]
Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #135

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunlover38 View Post
I believe in concealing because when you are not home and someone breaks in they are going strait to the guns and if they are in a safe you can get to them fast during a robbery if you are home. If you're any good at shooting you can kill multiple attackers with 8 rounds in a pistol
Let me play "Devil's advocate" for a moment.

1. If someone breaks into your home while you are away and you come home and stumble upon them, they already have the upper hand because you're surprised by their presence and they are inside a dwelling with multiple walls, doors, and rooms. Sure you can argue that you know your home better than they do and you know the hiding spots and they don't. Unless you live in the Winchester Mystery House, most homes aren't all that different and most crooks already know how to spot a hiding spot immediately. They LIVE in the shadows and hiding spots everyday. They might be better at hiding in YOUR home than you would be.

2. Don't forget that the crooks may fight back. Could you kill multiple guys with your pistol if they were fighting back?
1:1 is a dangerous gun fight.
2:1 is very hard to survive; you'd better be a warrior.

Beyond 2:1 you're chances of survival are close to nil. You'd better be the Billy Bad@$$ of all Billy Bad@$$es EVER!

If you come home and find multiple criminals in your house, my advice is DON'T EVEN ENTER (or run out at top speed)...just drive away and call the police...period.

SIDE NOTE: That's one reason why I NEVER let the dog enter the home before I do. If the dog wasn't already there, then it comes in, the criminals know you're now home...then the fight's on! No thanks.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #136

Totallyfrozen, Good answer, I have no training such as some of you folks and I worry about being able to keep calm under stress. I studied the actions of other folks in a high stress situations and you are right, the main thing I have found out is your attitude when the going gets tough.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #137

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Violence of Action
or
Ferocity of Fight

Is another thing that's needed to be brought to the battle!

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101