Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I personally don't like shotguns for home defence. They spray to wide and are hard to conceal. I would suggest a kimber.45 auto kimbers are very reliable.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #122

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
I know "exactly" how i react and what i will do
Damn straight Shawn. Been there done that several times.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 AM   #123

Liked 274 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunlover38 View Post
I personally don't like shotguns for home defence. They spray to wide and are hard to conceal. I would suggest a kimber.45 auto kimbers are very reliable.
Just out of curiosity, why worry about concealing in your home? And, did you see how the Federal FC #1 buckshot performed?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G

Just out of curiosity, why worry about concealing in your home? And, did you see how the Federal FC #1 buckshot performed?
I believe in concealing because when you are not home and someone breaks in they are going strait to the guns and if they are in a safe you can get to them fast during a robbery if you are home. If you're any good at shooting you can kill multiple attackers with 8 rounds in a pistol

Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #125
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20009 Times on 11376 Posts
Likes Given: 50487

Quote:
I believe in concealing because when you are not home and someone breaks in they are going strait to the guns and if they are in a safe you can get to them fast during a robbery if you are home. If you're any good at shooting you can kill multiple attackers with 8 rounds in a pistol
gunlover, this subforum is about general shotgun questions. since when did a Kimber becoame a shotgun? the thread is about HD loads for shotguns, not pistols. just saying.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #126

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like the side by side and over under home defense out on the market. This is a great thread cause this ia something I am currently shopping for.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #127

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

There are 8 shells in my Mossberg.

The first 4 are 10-pellet 000 3" mag
The last 4 are 1oz Slug

I figure if the baddies aren't done by the first 4, they are probably taking cover and a little penetration power might be in order.

Then I have 2 buck, 3 slugs on the side saddle.

Why go with just 1 round?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #128

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have never felt the need to switch from 00 Buck. That's what stays loaded in my Beretta 1201FP.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #129

Liked 1085 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:
If you break into my home, you had better worry more about The Shadow, before you worry about me with a gun, at least death from me will be swift !

When all else fails.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #130
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
BB and up would be what I consider minimum. I prefer #1 but will take 0 or 00 because it is available. 2 and 3/4 should be plenty. It'salso easier to find, affoard and is more manageable as far as recoil, and you get more shells in the tube.

No disrespect intended, but I want to comment on that last part of your post.

Gun shop Shotgun myth #1

"I'll use a shotgun for home defense because racking the slide is enough to scare anyone away without having to fire a shot."

I think this is a dangerous assumption. If someone wants to bet their life on it, I think it is a bad bet. Criminals have been shot, and don't necessarily stop. Why would someone assume the sound of a gun would automatically stop them?

Here's an article from Atlanta that helps correct this assumption:

ATLANTA NEWS 1:17 p.m. Thursday, October 27, 2011

Burglar ignores shotgun warning, is shot by Buckhead homeowner
By Mike Morris
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
A burglar who ignored a warning blast from a shotgun was shot in the leg early Thursday after breaking into a mansion on West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead, police said.
Homeowner shoots intruder
Atlanta police dispatchers received a call shortly after 2 a.m. about a burglar inside the home, which sits well off West Paces Ferry near Northside Drive.
After being awakened by his burglar alarm, the homeowner "got out of his bed and walked to the top of his steps," Atlanta police Sgt. Curtis Davenport told the AJC. "He heard someone downstairs so he went back and got his shotgun."
Davenport said that when the homeowner returned to the top of the steps, "he saw a subject coming up the steps toward him and his family. The homeowner yelled out to the unknown subject to get out of his house."
The intruder continued toward the homeowner, who fired a warning shot into the floor in front of the man.
"The subject paused, then started coming further up the stairs," Davenport said. "The homeowner fired another shot at the subject's leg."
Davenport said the intruder, 25-year-old William Leisy Jr., had entered the side door by force.
Leisy, who Channel 2 Action News reported was drunk at the time of the incident, was charged with burglary and taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in stable condition.

There's a lot of little takeaway info in this one little article.
-Burglar wasn't detered by an alarm.
-Burglar wasn't detered by armed man with a shotgun telling him to stop.
-Burglar wasn't detered by a warning shot.
-Burglar was shot.
-Burglar was drunk.

So, not knowing the state of mind of a burglar it seems pretty narrow minded to assume racking the pump on a shotgun will end a potentially bad situation.
Other errors I see from the homeowner are that he went to investigate without being armed, and then had to return to get his shotgun. He fired a warning shot (may or may not be a good idea, but I have always been trained that warning shots are not exactly smart.) He then shot to wound, a burglar who was not detered by at least three deterents.

Side note. Burglar was treated and in stable condition. Don't know what kind of ammo was in the shotgun, but if pellets don't go to vitals, then it is a poor stopper.
My only problem is if you are forced to use deadly force make it deadly as if you shoot to wound you must feel you aren't in that much danger. Also if he is permanantly disabled by the shot depending on the State you live in he will sue you and win and end up owning your house. If he dies from his wounds he won't repeat the crime and your story will be the only one.
I use Dept. issued 00Buck in a mossberg 500 backed by a 357 sig and a very protective dog, my wife backs me with a 1911 loaded with 230 grain WW Ranger L.E. ammo.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 07-16-2012 at 08:07 PM.