Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Ive already done these tests with a few different loads,and ive posted the results here on FTF. The last one is on this thread, a few pages back.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #112

I use what I call my reciprocal load team, meaning shot size and weight are reversable.

First two rounds in line are a load of 40ea./16gr. size F lead pellets (.22 cal.), approx. 1.5 oz load, with an appropriate weight of IMR 800-X pushing them.

Third and fourth rounds are a commercial #1 (.30 cal.) buck load which is 16ea./40gr. lead pellets. Again an approx. 1.5 oz load.

Each load an equal weight payload, but one with 40ea./16gr. pellets and less penetration first, followed by a fewer pellet count load of 16ea./40gr. pellets, but with more penetration.

I stuff whatever I want to use from the stock carrier in after that which include those loads and a couple of slug rounds as well.

Last edited by Boxlock; 07-16-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #113

Not to mention, if the bad guy is entering your home with intent to do you harm, the "racking" of a shotgun may give away your position and subject you to fire. I believe it's best to exploit all of the advantages you have as the "homeowner" - stay quiet to identify the possible treat(s), use the darkness hat your familiar with, and use your home's cover &/or concealment. On ammo - I also like #1 buck.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #114

Liked 302 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I ran across this review of some new Federal Flite Control #1 buckshot. The guy does some very good testing on stuff.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5740 Times on 3249 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4GC View Post
Not to mention, if the bad guy is entering your home with intent to do you harm, the "racking" of a shotgun may give away your position and subject you to fire. I believe it's best to exploit all of the advantages you have as the "homeowner" - stay quiet to identify the possible treat(s), use the darkness hat your familiar with, and use your home's cover &/or concealment. On ammo - I also like #1 buck.
I, too believe in a loaded chamber if you can do so safely. I have no children in the house, and my shotgun is readily accessible, yet quite well concealed.

I do, however, follow the safety rule that I both learned in class, and taught in many classes.

Regardless of the weapon used, i.e. shotgun, handgun, carbine etc, make sure that both feet are on the cold floor before the hand can reach the weapon.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #116

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Am I "over simplifying" this? Maybe but...

How many of you have ever killed someone with a shotgun?

If you have, just use what you used the last time (it worked for you).

If you've never killed someone with a shotgun, the most reliable assumption would be to use what the police departments/FBI issue for lethal force. It's been battle tested.

That generally seemed to be #4 plated buck, #1 plated buck, or 00 buck.

...and don't kid yourself into thinking that LE doesn't consider the risks of over-penetration and stray pellets. They certainly do.

All the rest of this is just guess work.
[/THREAD]

IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.

Last edited by totallyfrozen; 07-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #117

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

LE will ALWAYS maintain lethal force capability. You cannot enforce law and maintain order without it.

I specifically mentioned lethal force in my post to stay away from talk of beanbags and rubber bullets. Personally, I'll never adopt less than lethal rounds for HD.

On that note (and I digress but...), any criminal (they usually come in pairs or packs) who will commit such a bold, violent crime as a home invasion is almost always NOT a first time offender. We're dealing will hardened, experienced, career criminals. Anyone who wants to face off with that using warning shots, supposedly spooky noises (racking the slide), or less that lethal rounds is practically BEGGING to be killed in their own home. Or worse...kidnapped, tortured, then killed later. Large caliber, lethal stuff for me thanks. I have no plans to shoot to wound, either. If someone puts me in the position that I have to defend myself with a shotgun, they can expect to collect the pellets in their chest and head.

I've done EMT work with the police and have a good friend (and Army buddy) on the police dept. The police do care about over-penetration and stray rounds because they don't want innocents hurt. Sure there are lawyers and policies, etc. but I think most cops still give a damn. They don't want to cause unnecessary death or injury.

According to my very limited experience anyway.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 07-16-2012 at 01:31 AM. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #118

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I use Estate Brand shotgun ammo # 4 Buckshot in my HD shotgun. As it will take down anything on either 2 or 4 legs. Case closed. First of all I would never use a Slug inside my home. As it will go through walls & kill a loved one in other rooms, Etc.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #119

I have a question. Does anyone know for certain how he or she is going to act in a highly stressed situation. I am sure should the incident happen to me I will not know how I will react until the time arises, god forbid. I know from what I gather, that training is the number one rule for preparing for the uncertain, as it can prepare one for the unknown and hopefully you will revert to the training to help get you through the confrontation should the time come. Bird shot for me, if their in my house then they will be close enough to die from a lethal dose of 7 1/2 shot.

“The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.” Patrick Henry

Last edited by olegeezer; 07-16-2012 at 03:39 AM. Reason: forgot to add authors name

Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #120

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I know "exactly" how i react and what i will do

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis