Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

I just bought me an Interstate Arms Hawk Model 982 Pump 12 Gauge for home protection and even though I'm sure this has been discussed before; with new ammo coming out all the time I figured I'd ask your opinions on the best ammo for home defense. I think 00 buckshot would be too much and go through walls too easy and bird shot might not be enough, especially when going through leather. I did notice the Winchester Blind Side which looked intriguing. Also, suggestions on 2 1/2 or 3" would be nice. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, suggestions on cheap target rounds would be helpful!

***********DIDN'T SEE THIS THREAD***********

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Last edited by ryevick; 06-26-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I prefer to load with #1 Buck. I've got a whole lot of 00-Buck because that is the cheapest load out there. But in my Mossberg right now, and on my sidesaddle, are a bunch Winchester #1-Buck shells. That seems to me to be the best balance between power and higher number of pellets.

YMMV

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
BodySnatcher Likes This 
Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

You don't need special over priced ammo to stop an intruder. I've got 3" bb in my hd shotty. I personally think slugs & oobuck are too risky in a home environment. Heck just the sound of racking the action on a pump shot gun will stop most people dead in their tracks,if not welllll

Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #4

Liked 1912 Times on 1143 Posts
Likes Given: 408

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44ablast View Post
You don't need special over priced ammo to stop an intruder. I've got 3" bb in my hd shotty. I personally think slugs & oobuck are too risky in a home environment. Heck just the sound of racking the action on a pump shot gun will stop most people dead in their tracks,if not welllll
BB and up would be what I consider minimum. I prefer #1 but will take 0 or 00 because it is available. 2 and 3/4 should be plenty. It'salso easier to find, affoard and is more manageable as far as recoil, and you get more shells in the tube.

No disrespect intended, but I want to comment on that last part of your post.

Gun shop Shotgun myth #1

"I'll use a shotgun for home defense because racking the slide is enough to scare anyone away without having to fire a shot."

I think this is a dangerous assumption. If someone wants to bet their life on it, I think it is a bad bet. Criminals have been shot, and don't necessarily stop. Why would someone assume the sound of a gun would automatically stop them?

Here's an article from Atlanta that helps correct this assumption:

ATLANTA NEWS 1:17 p.m. Thursday, October 27, 2011

Burglar ignores shotgun warning, is shot by Buckhead homeowner
By Mike Morris
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
A burglar who ignored a warning blast from a shotgun was shot in the leg early Thursday after breaking into a mansion on West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead, police said.
Homeowner shoots intruder
Atlanta police dispatchers received a call shortly after 2 a.m. about a burglar inside the home, which sits well off West Paces Ferry near Northside Drive.
After being awakened by his burglar alarm, the homeowner "got out of his bed and walked to the top of his steps," Atlanta police Sgt. Curtis Davenport told the AJC. "He heard someone downstairs so he went back and got his shotgun."
Davenport said that when the homeowner returned to the top of the steps, "he saw a subject coming up the steps toward him and his family. The homeowner yelled out to the unknown subject to get out of his house."
The intruder continued toward the homeowner, who fired a warning shot into the floor in front of the man.
"The subject paused, then started coming further up the stairs," Davenport said. "The homeowner fired another shot at the subject's leg."
Davenport said the intruder, 25-year-old William Leisy Jr., had entered the side door by force.
Leisy, who Channel 2 Action News reported was drunk at the time of the incident, was charged with burglary and taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in stable condition.

There's a lot of little takeaway info in this one little article.
-Burglar wasn't detered by an alarm.
-Burglar wasn't detered by armed man with a shotgun telling him to stop.
-Burglar wasn't detered by a warning shot.
-Burglar was shot.
-Burglar was drunk.

So, not knowing the state of mind of a burglar it seems pretty narrow minded to assume racking the pump on a shotgun will end a potentially bad situation.
Other errors I see from the homeowner are that he went to investigate without being armed, and then had to return to get his shotgun. He fired a warning shot (may or may not be a good idea, but I have always been trained that warning shots are not exactly smart.) He then shot to wound, a burglar who was not detered by at least three deterents.

Side note. Burglar was treated and in stable condition. Don't know what kind of ammo was in the shotgun, but if pellets don't go to vitals, then it is a poor stopper.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

As indicated, between #2 Shot and #0 Buck would be my go to. Lighter for shorter. #2 if you're in a studio apartment, all the way up to but not past #0 Buckshot as the all purpose tactical round when you just don't know who, what, when, where or care why...

Old 06-26-2012, 01:44 AM   #6

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I agree with above that duck/goose loads are a great choice. Awhile back on this forum a member(sorry I don't remember who) stated 00 buck has the advantage if you end up outside your home the 00 has longer lethal range. Which I thought is a good point if you live in the country.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:08 AM   #7

Liked 1056 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Number 4`s..............

When all else fails.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Wow, these look pretty awesome... Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense Load... they are a mix of #2 and #4... looks like I may be grabbing a couple boxes of these

"Only an armed people can be truly free. Only an unarmed people can ever be enslaved." - Aristotle

Old 06-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #9

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

I consider BB to be a minimum size.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 06-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

These are sweet too... Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 2 3/4" 1 Ounce Rifled Slug with 3 00 Buck Pellets!

Last edited by ryevick; 06-26-2012 at 06:24 AM.