Best Hand Priming Tool ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best Hand Priming Tool ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1735 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 1321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I use a Lee hand primer. I had the old one but I broke the handle. I loaded tens of thousands of rounds on that old one. I have only had the new one for a few months. I have probably loaded maybe 3000 rounds with it. Just a wild guess. But I liked the old one better. The new one does keep you from getting two primers in at once. But it gives me more trouble than the old one.

I have never popped a primer while using a hand tool. But about a week ago I got one in sideways. I pried it out with a tiny screwdriver. I was wearing safety glasses. It went bang! I almost peed myself.
I did the same thing last summer. I thought about a screwdriver but was sure I would set it off. Then I thought" The long skinny pair of needle nose pliers will do the trick". Long story short I was holding the case in one hand and the pliers in the other when it went off. Case went one way,pliers the other. Never again. I'll just set it off and get it over with the next time.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I used a Lee hand primer till I broke it. Have a RCBS hand primer I use sometimes and don't see an issue as long as the case mouth is pointed in a safe direction. I have used the priming system that came with my Lyman T-Mag and it works fine but I would rather prime on the down stroke rather than the up stroke so use a RCBS ram primer when priming on the press. Of course when using the Dillon I prime with it.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

In case anyone is interested, I found a YouTube video comparing Lee And RCBS hand priming tools. It appears that the RCBS is superior to the Lee (the new Lee, not the old Lee)....I have to agree. If choosing the RCBS there are two options available. One model takes shell holders and the other model has a "universal" case holding device. The universal model is known to have more problems, especially with .45 Colt.... but the need for buying a bunch of shell holders is eliminated.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Thx prof. YouTube is a great source of info with a handy video on most any firearm subject.
I have the old Lee, but we were both new when I got it.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #15

Liked 98 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm sure I haven't been reloading as long as some of you have so feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt. That said; I love my RCBS universal hand priming tool. No shell holders needed. I just give the case a couple of small spins as I start the stroke of the tool be make sure its centered nicely. Works like a charm.
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/319794/rcbs-universal-hand-priming-tool

"The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides circa 460 bc - c. 400 bc

Old 02-23-2014, 12:54 PM   #16

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 48

My regret is not buying more shell holders for the old style Lee hand primers. Their simplicity lends to near flawless operation.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5924 Times on 3350 Posts
Likes Given: 5472

IME, the RCBS bench mounted tool is far better than any hand priming tool.

It's fast, and safe. And uses standard shell holders

Winston Churchill

Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #18

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

The Lee hand priming tool will prime 50 rounds of just about anything in about 3 or 4 minutes. I have not used anything that is near that fast. And no I do not point the case mouth at myself.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Bayou Likes This 
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5924 Times on 3350 Posts
Likes Given: 5472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
The Lee hand priming tool will prime 50 rounds of just about anything in about 3 or 4 minutes. I have not used anything that is near that fast. And no I do not point the case mouth at myself.
Rick, the RCBS bench mounted tool is considerably faster than that. And the case mouth points up at all times.

Winston Churchill