Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best deer hunting ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best deer hunting ammo

Alright anyone's thoughts on the best ammo for a .270? Deer hunting

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2013, 01:57 AM   #2

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Had a mark II that did will with core-lokt. However my favorite deer ammo right now is Winchester supreme. Out of my 30.06.....

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve
Had a mark II that did will with core-lokt. However my favorite deer ammo right now is Winchester supreme. Out of my 30.06.....
Much appreciated

Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Dear are thin skinned and not heavy boned, so a premium bullet like a Barnes or Nosler isn't required. Shot placement and stealth to get closer is more important. Any 150 grain soft point should be fine. IMO

Old 05-07-2013, 02:26 AM   #5

Liked 2366 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I grabbed a box of federal "deer thumper" 150 grain. Said to be reboxed fusion ammo. Have yet to shoot the gun to see how it likes it.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Dear are thin skinned and not heavy boned, so a premium bullet like a Barnes or Nosler isn't required. Shot placement and stealth to get closer is more important. Any 150 grain soft point should be fine. IMO
While not required...the cartridge is as much about accuracy as the animal. I could kill a deer with a .22 if I was stealthy enough. In my case..my 30.06 hates core-lokt (as do i...only shot them in the .270 Bc they were accurate out of that rifle). The supreme gives me the best accuracy out of this particular rifle.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
I grabbed a box of federal "deer thumper" 150 grain. Said to be reboxed fusion ammo. Have yet to shoot the gun to see how it likes it.
The Deer thumper or fusions are good rounds that are fairly inexpensive when compared to other hunting rounds.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

True. All I am saying though is many people get caught up in the name game and think they have to have the best of it all to get a deer. I could take any beat up bolt action rifle from a pawn shop with the barrel shot out, shooting crap bullets just because I do know how to stalk than care what 'best' tool I have in my hand at the moment.
And taking advise from people with different guns and conditions on what is the best, and then thinking by having that bullet will surely tag them a deer next year is nonsense.
Thats why I think it s more important to get out there and learn to get close to the animals, and the gun and bullet won't really matter.
Heres a goat I was able to get within 10 feet from just because I can:

Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
True. All I am saying though is many people get caught up in the name game and think they have to have the best of it all to get a deer. I could take any beat up bolt action rifle from a pawn shop with the barrel shot out, shooting crap bullets just because I do know how to stalk than care what 'best' tool I have in my hand at the moment.
And taking advise from people with different guns and conditions on what is the best, and then thinking by having that bullet will surely tag them a deer next year is nonsense.
Thats why I think it s more important to get out there and learn to get close to the animals, and the gun and bullet won't really matter.
Heres a goat I was able to get within 10 feet from just because I can:
That's great. I am also a Bowhunter and appreciate what you are saying. As far as a piece of crap rifle....mine is only a step above that lol. Currently I am using a rem. 770. Though I hate paying the price for the supreme...it makes the rifle better than any other ammo I have put through it..

-AP

― Thomas Jefferson

― Alexander Hamilton

Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 03:04 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Find out your rate of twist and find a website that has recommended bullet weights and that will make the job of find what your gun "likes" a lot easier then buying a bunch of different bullets and trying them out. That is for accuracy, now as for damage, a pencil sized hole through the heart is better than a fist sized whole in the leg. Find out what bullet weight is good then try to find a soft point or ballistic tip to increase damage.
Accuracy above damage is my moto!