Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Best deer hunting ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/best-deer-hunting-ammo-90260/)

BigManD 05-07-2013 01:41 AM

Best deer hunting ammo
 
Alright anyone's thoughts on the best ammo for a .270? Deer hunting

apwvsd40ve 05-07-2013 01:57 AM

Had a mark II that did will with core-lokt. However my favorite deer ammo right now is Winchester supreme. Out of my 30.06.....

BigManD 05-07-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apwvsd40ve
Had a mark II that did will with core-lokt. However my favorite deer ammo right now is Winchester supreme. Out of my 30.06.....

Much appreciated

Anna_Purna 05-07-2013 02:22 AM

Dear are thin skinned and not heavy boned, so a premium bullet like a Barnes or Nosler isn't required. Shot placement and stealth to get closer is more important. Any 150 grain soft point should be fine. IMO

kytowboater 05-07-2013 02:26 AM

I grabbed a box of federal "deer thumper" 150 grain. Said to be reboxed fusion ammo. Have yet to shoot the gun to see how it likes it.

apwvsd40ve 05-07-2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1239412)
Dear are thin skinned and not heavy boned, so a premium bullet like a Barnes or Nosler isn't required. Shot placement and stealth to get closer is more important. Any 150 grain soft point should be fine. IMO

While not required...the cartridge is as much about accuracy as the animal. I could kill a deer with a .22 if I was stealthy enough. In my case..my 30.06 hates core-lokt (as do i...only shot them in the .270 Bc they were accurate out of that rifle). The supreme gives me the best accuracy out of this particular rifle.

Squawk 05-07-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater
I grabbed a box of federal "deer thumper" 150 grain. Said to be reboxed fusion ammo. Have yet to shoot the gun to see how it likes it.

The Deer thumper or fusions are good rounds that are fairly inexpensive when compared to other hunting rounds.

Anna_Purna 05-07-2013 02:55 AM

True. All I am saying though is many people get caught up in the name game and think they have to have the best of it all to get a deer. I could take any beat up bolt action rifle from a pawn shop with the barrel shot out, shooting crap bullets just because I do know how to stalk than care what 'best' tool I have in my hand at the moment.
And taking advise from people with different guns and conditions on what is the best, and then thinking by having that bullet will surely tag them a deer next year is nonsense.
Thats why I think it s more important to get out there and learn to get close to the animals, and the gun and bullet won't really matter.
Heres a goat I was able to get within 10 feet from just because I can:
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...%20too/112.jpg
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/...%20too/113.jpg

apwvsd40ve 05-07-2013 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna (Post 1239464)
True. All I am saying though is many people get caught up in the name game and think they have to have the best of it all to get a deer. I could take any beat up bolt action rifle from a pawn shop with the barrel shot out, shooting crap bullets just because I do know how to stalk than care what 'best' tool I have in my hand at the moment.
And taking advise from people with different guns and conditions on what is the best, and then thinking by having that bullet will surely tag them a deer next year is nonsense.
Thats why I think it s more important to get out there and learn to get close to the animals, and the gun and bullet won't really matter.
Heres a goat I was able to get within 10 feet from just because I can:

That's great. I am also a Bowhunter and appreciate what you are saying. As far as a piece of crap rifle....mine is only a step above that lol. Currently I am using a rem. 770. Though I hate paying the price for the supreme...it makes the rifle better than any other ammo I have put through it..

mchoitz 05-07-2013 03:04 AM

Find out your rate of twist and find a website that has recommended bullet weights and that will make the job of find what your gun "likes" a lot easier then buying a bunch of different bullets and trying them out. That is for accuracy, now as for damage, a pencil sized hole through the heart is better than a fist sized whole in the leg. Find out what bullet weight is good then try to find a soft point or ballistic tip to increase damage.
Accuracy above damage is my moto!


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.