Best ammo for hunting birds with a 10/22? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Best ammo for hunting birds with a 10/22?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think it falls under the same logic as not eating vultures. It has been said that eating animals that consist a large portion of their diet of carrion taste horribly. I personally don't know but It makes good sense to me. I have never heard of any culture eating raptures or crows. Guess that's why they have the saying " You'll be eating crow"

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 11-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Skunks and opossums are non-game animals. Yes I shoot them and no I don't eat them. Why should a pesky crow be any different?

As for game animals, if I'm not going to eat them, I don't hunt them. Varmints and pests fall under another catogory IMHO and crows are no better than rats with wings.
Hrm. Guess I was raised different, maybe? I've had skunk, and according to the guy who served it to me, as long as you don't puncture the scent glands during cleaning, most people can't tell it isn't squirrel. (I couldn't). However, if you puncture the scent gland, you have to throw it away.

I see no problem eating "non-game" animals. I mean, saying something is a "game" animal seems subjective.

I've had to eat rats in a simulated survival situation (I was challenged with a group of friends to survive). Rat tastes kinda like squirrel. I see no problem eating them (assuming I can kill them without destroying them).

Is it because of what they eat?

You ever have wild pig? Catfish? There are plenty of animals that eat less-than-savory things that taste reasonable. Example: Turtles. Ever had a freshwater turtle?

A significant portion of their diet is the feces of deer and other animals that crap near water sources.

I understand the assumption. But in my experience, even animals that subsist mostly on carrion don't really taste too radically different from other animals, and with the proper preparation can even be quite tasty.

Edit: http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Last edited by corrinavatan; 11-30-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default A Murder of Crows.......

Order your self the Crow call tapes and the Owl decoy. Crows are all ways harrasing Owls. 22 cal. 40 grain. and Zero your scope in at the distance you'll be shooting. And yes crows are edible. We would salt and pepper the breast an roast over an open fire.