Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Best .38 Special load for Snubbies (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/best-38-special-load-snubbies-67629/)

KalashnikovJosh 07-04-2012 10:16 PM

Best .38 Special load for Snubbies

Recently,Firearmstalk had a great article about .38 Snubs.

I'd like to hear what you guys might consider the best load for these guns?

Some people like standard wadcutters,some people like the "Chicago load" represented by a 158gr soft lead semi wadcutter hollow point,and some like the relatively new "New York load" which is the 135gr Speer Gold Dot JHP,made expressly for snub nose revolvers.

Theres a bunch more,like the "treasury load",which I think is a 110gr JHP,and theres other new stuff like the Barnes all-copper JHP.

What do you ya'll like?

JTJ 07-04-2012 11:19 PM

For legal reasons, it is best to run with factory loads for self defense. I like the Hornady Critical Defense.

hiwall 07-04-2012 11:34 PM

The lighter bullets seem to be best in snubbies.

partdeux 07-05-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 859208)
For legal reasons, it is best to run with factory loads for self defense. I like the Hornady Critical Defense.

Do you have and legal rulings indicating supporting that statement?

Rick1967 07-05-2012 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 859376)
Do you have and legal rulings indicating supporting that statement?

I have heard a bunch of people give that advice. But I have never heard of a single case. I carry handloads all the time. If I am forced to shoot someone someday I believe that what load I chose to use will be the least of my problems.

opaww 07-05-2012 08:00 PM

There have been law suits already where the person had used reloads for self defince and the lawyers tryed to base the suit on the reloads being cruel because they were so much more powerful them factory loads. I know of only one that was a judgement against the defendant for this reason, and that was in Ca. the others I have read about lost the case.

I personaly use reloads in my .38 and will do so regardless of what a fat assed lawyer thinks.

SSGN_Doc 07-05-2012 08:35 PM

I like the Gold Dot short barrel load. Shoots well out of my S&W.

partdeux 07-05-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opaww (Post 860164)
There have been law suits already where the person had used reloads for self defince and the lawyers tryed to base the suit on the reloads being cruel because they were so much more powerful them factory loads. I know of only one that was a judgement against the defendant for this reason, and that was in Ca. the others I have read about lost the case.

I personaly use reloads in my .38 and will do so regardless of what a fat assed lawyer thinks.

do you have a link to the case in CA?

opaww 07-06-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partdeux (Post 860413)
do you have a link to the case in CA?

Wish I did, I used to save all links and after the last HD crash I gave up on most links but I will look to make sure

locutus 07-06-2012 04:56 PM

The old "Metro" load, or "FBI" load worked well for 50 years. It still works for thousands of experienced detectives today.

158 GR lead SWCHP +P
\
There are newer loads out there, but I'm not convinced there's a better one.