Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Best 30-06 for target and then hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/best-30-06-target-then-hunting-99567/)

trevor_atkinson 10-27-2013 04:17 AM

Best 30-06 for target and then hunting
 
Eye guys wood appreciate a little advice on best target ammo(cheapest that's gunna be accurate and not mess up my gun) and then for hunting. thanks!!!

John_Deer 10-27-2013 04:33 AM

Any of the modern bolt actions that are not price point rifles. I would go with a Weatherby Mark V. The problem you run into shooting targets with a hunting rifle is a hunting rifle is light. A hunting rifle is meant to be accurate enough to make tough shots on game. Yet it has to be light enough to carry all day long and shoot unsupported.

A target rifle is heavy enough to absorb recoil. It has a heavy barrel so it won't heat up enough to change the point of impact in just a few shots. To give you an idea of how fast hunting barrels heat up, I shoot my 22 wmr 7 times the point of impact moves close to .25". How much is POI going to change with a light 30/06 barrel?

trevor_atkinson 10-27-2013 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer
Any of the modern bolt actions that are not price point rifles. I would go with a Weatherby Mark V. The problem you run into shooting targets with a hunting rifle is a hunting rifle is light. A hunting rifle is meant to be accurate enough to make tough shots on game. Yet it has to be light enough to carry all day long and shoot unsupported. A target rifle is heavy enough to absorb recoil. It has a heavy barrel so it won't heat up enough to change the point of impact in just a few shots. To give you an idea of how fast hunting barrels heat up, I shoot my 22 wmr 7 times the point of impact moves close to .25". How much is POI going to change with a light 30/06 barrel?

I was referring to ammunition

Axxe55 10-27-2013 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevor_atkinson (Post 1414761)
Eye guys wood appreciate a little advice on best target ammo(cheapest that's gunna be accurate and not mess up my gun) and then for hunting. thanks!!!

if you don't reload, then you ae limited to what is available as factory ammo. but for the 30-06, there is a huge selection to choose from. as long as you stay with quality ammo, there isn't much of a chance of it messing up your rifle. now as far as accuracy, you will just hav to buy several different brands and weights and find what ammo your rifle shoots with the most accurately.

even if i had the same exact brand and model of rifle as you have, mine might shoot very well with Brand "X" ammo in say a 150 gr. bullet. you try the same brand and end up with groups that look like a shotgum pattern. every gun is different. you just have to do some testing and see what works well in your rifle.

SSGN_Doc 10-27-2013 05:02 AM

Today I got out to the range with my Sako in .30-06 and a buddy with a Savage 111 that he bought earlier this week. Both rifles were synthetic stock rifles with sporter weight barrels. Confirming zero with my rifle and sighting his in. I used some Lake City 150gr ball ammo (surplus stuff I had ) just to start out and make sure my rifle was still dialed in. And also to get his hitting paper and then dialed in. Then we switched to hunting ammo from Winchester and Federal.

Winchester Super X 150gr loads were grouping well in both rifles. I had a cluster of 3 rounds inside 2 inches at 200 yds once we worked out to the 200 yd line, and his Savage was keeping pace right at 2" at the same distance. We weren't cooling them down or cleaning the bores between shots. The federal rounds were some old PowerShok rounds I had and they didn't hold quite as tight. Winchester SuperX 180gr was back to sub 2" groups out if both rifles.

His rifle has a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 with BDC. Mine has an Old Redfield 3-9 AccuTrack.

All in all a good day at the range. With two capable rifles and capable ammo.

SSGN_Doc 10-27-2013 05:05 AM

Oh, and the LC Surplus ammo was holding about 3" groups at 200yds out if both rifles. I was surprised at how similar both rifles were in ammo preference.

Apex-Predator 10-27-2013 05:24 AM

Cheap+accurate ammo= handloads. Sorry but there is no other answer there, every rifle is different and making your own allows you to custom tailor it to a rifle. None of my rifles shoot any factory ammo anywhere near as accurate as my handloads. Sierra Game King bullets are match grade accurate and highly effective on game.
The best accuracy you could hope for with high price match ammo and a premo heavy barrel rifle is about 1/2 MOA. The best any of mine do consistently with factory is .75 MOA but shoots under .20 MOA when I can use just the right charge of RL19 and seat my bullets out a little further.
Hope that helps

SSGN_Doc 10-27-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex-Predator (Post 1414804)
Cheap+accurate ammo= handloads. Sorry but there is no other answer there, every rifle is different and making your own allows you to custom tailor it to a rifle. None of my rifles shoot any factory ammo anywhere near as accurate as my handloads. Sierra Game King bullets are match grade accurate and highly effective on game.
The best accuracy you could hope for with high price match ammo and a premo heavy barrel rifle is about 1/2 MOA. The best any of mine do consistently with factory is .75 MOA but shoots under .20 MOA when I can use just the right charge of RL19 and seat my bullets out a little further.
Hope that helps

This is true. My Sako has shown itself to be better than half MOA capable with my best handload. That involved hand weighed and sorted brass and bullets, trimed brass, and hand trickled powder charges. But it was worth the results.

bamashooter68 10-28-2013 02:20 AM

Hornady White Tail 150gr shot moa and under in my Venture. Remington Cor-Lokt 150gr shot moa and under as well. My 155gr and 165gr handloads loaded with Sierra bullets shot sub-moa everytime. I guess its just a matter of how accurate do you want to be.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.