Benchrest primers vs normal
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Benchrest primers vs normal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default Benchrest primers vs normal

Question is that is there a difference? Would it cause ejection differences between two rounds loaded with the same charge? Ie different area on ground where they land with one loaded with a br primer and one normal primer. I'm loading with cfe 223, 55gr fmj/bt and cci primers.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #2

Liked 320 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Nothing I have ever seen or experienced.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 3769 Posts
Likes Given: 540

i dont put too much stock in primer's being a major accuracy factor. while it plays a role in benchrest type stuff its a very minor thing at best. far more important is using good quality bullets with consistant powder charge and consistant over all length.

saturday i shot this group. top three were the first few rounds then i made a sight adjustment dropping 1.25inches then fired 4 more. range was 300yards open sights rra National Match AR15.

primer used would get me laughed off any competition circuit. i was using wolf .223 small rifle primers...

Benchrest primers vs normal - Ammunition & Reloading

good primers are a part of accuracy but along with the origin of the brass one of the least important.

as for primers causing eject issues it is entirely possible as some may not have enough energy to reliably ignite certain powders. this can lead to incomplete ignition.

some primers may have too much power and cause higher pressure causing the action to operate more vigourosly.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 08-13-2012 at 12:59 AM.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #4

Liked 320 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I load nothing but Wolf primers anymore. At half the price as CCI, Win, Rem, Fed and they shoot just as good or BETTER in my 1k loads. Can't beat that.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thx guys. Jon I believe you nailed it with the last statement. I was talking with another buddy about it and he thought the br primer might of been burning the powder at a high rate causing my bolt to come back violently slamming the case off the deflector/ejector on the side of the upper receiver. I'm heading out to the range Tuesday afternoon. I'm going to make a few more rounds with both primers to bust this myth and also to hopefully get some money back from the local gun store. Im going to have 100 left and those bad boys are 5 bucks per 100. I'll be sure and post pics of the paper to see if there's a difference there as well. Thx for input

Old 08-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Do you order them online?

Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinoif3 View Post
Thx guys. Jon I believe you nailed it with the last statement. I was talking with another buddy about it and he thought the br primer might of been burning the powder at a high rate causing my bolt to come back violently slamming the case off the deflector/ejector on the side of the upper receiver. I'm heading out to the range Tuesday afternoon. I'm going to make a few more rounds with both primers to bust this myth and also to hopefully get some money back from the local gun store. Im going to have 100 left and those bad boys are 5 bucks per 100. I'll be sure and post pics of the paper to see if there's a difference there as well. Thx for input
if they are running hot you can treat them as magnum primers in loads that call for such
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Jon when were you with the 25th?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Yes i was.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for your service