Beginers equipment?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Beginers equipment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I want to start reloading my -06 as any factory loads are not as good as i would like (neither am i). Looking for Recommendations for dies and equipment. my grandpa has an old single press die set for his 44. He has a brass resizer and im assuming something to measure the powder. Sorry for the long winded ness. To synopsize recommendations on brands or newer equipment for reloading my -06 rounds. I would like to keep it under 200$

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

I have a Lee single press that I use to reload my 45/70 and I also have the Less perfect powder messure and a RCBS beam scale.As for dies I use two brands RCBS or Lee the Lees are CHEAPER just as good except they dont have a lock they use a rubber ring on there dies you could buy a Lee reloading set for 200.00 or a little more.Check out midway

Old 08-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_
I have a Lee single press that I use to reload my 45/70 and I also have the Less perfect powder messure and a RCBS beam scale.As for dies I use two brands RCBS or Lee the Lees are CHEAPER just as good except they dont have a lock they use a rubber ring on there dies you could buy a Lee reloading set for 200.00 or a little more.Check out midway
Thanks. I will look around online and my local bass pro/ academy.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

ineverFTF,

Check the stickies above, they have good advise.

As for where to send your money, check the sponsors of this forum and compare prices and availabilities with:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/
http://www.grafs.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/
http://www.natchezss.com/
http://www.wholesalehunter.com/subcategory.asp?keywords=Reload&category=RE

And any other online or store front business you know of. The key is to know what you want (in general terms) and not get switched to something you don't want.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 08-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

If you mean he has a single stage press and .44 dies, then all you need is .30-06 dies, case lube, a powder measure and scale, bullets, cases, powder, primers and A GOOD RELOADING BOOK! Read the book FIRST! Understand that all gun powder is not created equal. Pistol powder in a .30-06 will probaly blow up your gun and injure you.

READ A GOOD RELOADING BOOK! The Lyman 49th edition is one of the best.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
If you mean he has a single stage press and .44 dies, then all you need is .30-06 dies, case lube, a powder measure and scale, bullets, cases, powder, primers and A GOOD RELOADING BOOK! Read the book FIRST! Understand that all gun powder is not created equal. Pistol powder in a .30-06 will probaly blow up your gun and injure you.

READ A GOOD RELOADING BOOK! The Lyman 49th edition is one of the best.
Thank you. And yes i meant he has a single press and dies. I am obviously new to reloading. I knew about the powder but thanks for reminding me. I have alot of brass, and he has a powder measure. Any suggestions as far as powder and bullets go?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Hodgdon H4895 and Sierra 165gr boat tails is a good place to start IMO, RCBS/Lyman dies are worth the extra money. Buy a can of Nevrdull to clean the neck/shoulders, alittle case lube goes a long way. Primer pocket tool is money well spent also. Powder measures are really nice but not necessary, a decent beam scale and powder trickler will suffice.

Badshot

Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #8

I would buy an RCBS Rockchucker press. You are going to end up with one anyway sometime in the future. Nothing wrong w/ getting a used one. They never wear out. Same w/ dies. RCBS can't be beat. You can get an RC press and RCBS dies for under $200 on the auction sites.
cottontop

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

This is all you need plus powder, primer, projectiles and your fired brass. $26.49 in equipment plus the componants toa ssemble.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/508946/lee-classic-loader-30-06-springfield

Old 08-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Badshot