barrel and powder question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > barrel and powder question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
One guy tried using powder that was faster than what was called for in the recommended ranges. He thought he could use less powder this way. He once was using a powder used for .223 in his .300 Win Mag and complained it wasn't working very well. He was using Bullseye for his .44 mag loads, and this powder is not listed in most published data for this cartridge.
Alliant, Speer and Oregon Trail list Bullseye loads for 44 Mag. It might not be the best powder for that cartridge, but it's not a crime, sin or "dumb" to try it.

What 223 powder was he using in his 300WinMag?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #12

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightExpress View Post
Alliant, Speer and Oregon Trail list Bullseye loads for 44 Mag. It might not be the best powder for that cartridge, but it's not a crime, sin or "dumb" to try it.

What 223 powder was he using in his 300WinMag?
I think it is dumb when you are cheap to the point where you take chances on safety in the pursuit to save pennies. I didn't tell the whole story. This guy was also known to try loads below the listed minimum, and he wondered why his semi-auto wouldn't cycle. For what it is worth, my loads and shooting put his to shame when we shot together, To each his own, but I load to develop great-shooting ammunition, not just to save money. There is a lot of decent factory ammo out there I can buy cheaper than I can load it myself. Simply put, I figure if I can afford a nice firearm I can afford to shoot decent ammo through it.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #13

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I think it is dumb when you are cheap to the point where you take chances on safety in the pursuit to save pennies. I didn't tell the whole story. This guy was also known to try loads below the listed minimum, and he wondered why his semi-auto wouldn't cycle.
I'll agree ignoring safety in the name of saving a few cents is ill advised, but I haven't seen you post anything he/they have done that would be a safety concern.

How far below the recommended 44 Magnum velocities was he dipping? What 223 powder was he using in his 300 WinMag? What caliber semi-auto was he trying to load light?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 AM   #14

Quote:
I'll agree ignoring safety in the name of saving a few cents is ill advised, but I haven't seen you post anything he/they have done that would be a safety concern.

How far below the recommended 44 Magnum velocities was he dipping? What 223 powder was he using in his 300 WinMag? What caliber semi-auto was he trying to load light?
I participate in this forum to exchange information with others, as most of us here do. I do not participate to get into a pissing contest about who knows the most about a topic. I said what I said on this subject and that is it for me. You and everyone else are free are shoot whatever firearm and ammunition you choose and do not have to answer to anyone for it. I do not care what other people shoot, that is unless they are shooting at me. Your time, your money, so shoot whatever you want.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2621 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

russell,

If you go heavier than the 69 grain and expect peak accuracy you are looking into the 1:8 and 1:7 twist range. 69 is on the top end weight wise for the 1:9 twist. As far as your comment to Wind Drift? That is the 223/5.56! With any significant wind at all out at 200 - 250 yards and over it is just a fact of life so to speak when shooting the caliber. That is why at longer ranges the 7.62 NATO or 308 and + calibers are a better choice regarding wind drift. But it also is effected by the wind as is any other caliber.
The other guys have certainly given some good adivse regarding powder so I will decline to add anything since they are right on in their comments.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
I participate in this forum to exchange information with others, as most of us here do. I do not participate to get into a pissing contest about who knows the most about a topic.
I asked you some simple, basic questions regarding some ambiguous safety issue you mentioned. I was asking to gain a little clarity on what exactly was unsafe about "This guy." It had nothing to do with whether or not you have a clue as to what you're talking about. If you would rather not answer them you're well within your right to not answer them. You know, free country and all. Your hostility and "pissing" remark are completely uncalled for and couldn't be more out of place, but I understand why you chose that path and why you're ignoring the questions.

I'll put you on the "no follow-up questions" list and be done with it. At the very least it should save you some grief.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2176 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

My Lee book lists Bullseye for the 44 Mag and I used to load it with a 240 grn hard cast semi wad cutter.It was a very accurate low power load equivalent to the 45acp in power. IMR 4895, IMR 3031 and IMR 4198 will work in the 223 and the 300wm.
A 69 grn 223 is going to need 1:8 or 1:7 twist and Varget is a good powder. It will be a compressed charge. A friend uses a 223 loaded with Varget to 1000 yards in long range competition.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 01-03-2012 at 03:13 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
My Lee book lists Bullseye for the 44 Mag and I used to load it with a 240 grn hard cast semi wad cutter.It was a very accurate low power load equivalent to the 45acp in power.
Hornady 8th has a couple of Bullseye loads in 44Mag as well and several in 44 Special, didn't think to check my Lee manual earlier. Just used the Load Data load search.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #19

Quote:
I asked you some simple, basic questions regarding some ambiguous safety issue you mentioned. I was asking to gain a little clarity on what exactly was unsafe about "This guy." It had nothing to do with whether or not you have a clue as to what you're talking about. If you would rather not answer them you're well within your right to not answer them. You know, free country and all. Your hostility and "pissing" remark are completely uncalled for and couldn't be more out of place, but I understand why you chose that path and why you're ignoring the questions.

I'll put you on the "no follow-up questions" list and be done with it. At the very least it should save you some grief.
It is nothing personal, and not this thread I was referring to specifically. You have probably noticed that all too often some people in this and other forums take comments way too personal and go off the deep end. I have had a few of these people jump all over me over something real simple and trivial.

I should have clarified what I was trying to say about the reloader I was referring to. He mostly used word-of-mouth loads he heard from others and not printed references. He is extremely cheap in a general way, not just with reloading. I know Speer and a few other manuals listed load data for Bullseye for the 240-grain cast SW, but he wasn't using that bullet. He also tried using a few slower powders such as H110 and 296 in greatly reduced loads. Many published sources warn against trying this. I know that there are a few powders such as Varget that will work great in both the .223 and .300 Win Mag but he wasn't using it. I think he tried H335 and I could not find it listed in any references I have for the .300 Win Mag.

I hope this clears things up a bit. We have all heard things about reloading from others that we do not agree with. The honest exchange of information is good for all. I didn't mean to get testy but I get kind of weary of the personal attacks I see on these posts sometimes.