barrel and powder question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > barrel and powder question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default barrel and powder question

What is the best barrel twist and powder for shooting a heavier (62-69grn) bullet? I shoot 3 gun so targets are 5ft-550yds. My current barrel is a Yankee Hill 16" 1/9 twist. Charge has always been been my powder cause I know it works. My current load is 55grn V-max with 25grn Charge, CII sr primers COL is 2.220. It shoots very tight out to 250yds then starts to drift. I want to go heavier so I dont have as much drift and more retained energy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #2

Varget has always been my powder, darn auto correct.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrussell View Post
Varget has always been my powder, darn auto correct.
There's an "Edit" button in the lower right corner of your post.

Last edited by MidnightExpress; 01-01-2012 at 03:28 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 AM   #4

Forgot to post my goal... wow my bad. My goal is to try and either use a cheaper powder or less so cost is lower. I have my next new rifle done except my barrel. I am going for an 18" for the added velocity and that length is still easy to move around and handle.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #5

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Forgot to post my goal... wow my bad. My goal is to try and either use a cheaper powder or less so cost is lower. I have my next new rifle done except my barrel. I am going for an 18" for the added velocity and that length is still easy to move around and handle.
Let me get this straight. You are willing to spend money on a nice rifle and are concerned about using a different powder to save money? How much money do you plan on saving by doing this? You are talking pennies here. Most people reload to find custom loads that work very well in their firearms, not to save money. Why not just use what works well? I have seen people get cheap with their reloading to the point where they were doing things that were unsafe. If you are willing to put out the money for a nice rifle then why not shoot good ammo in it?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #6

I am talking about getting my cost down from $.29 a shot since this last year I shot and reloaded over 50,000 rounds. Pennies add up. I am trying to find who shoots what and what their load is so I can cross reference it with my load book and see if I have tried it and also see if people on here make sense and aren't retarded. No offense ment toward anyone. I am trying save in powder if i can because high grade bullets in the heavier weights cost more even when bought in bulk. Before I down graded to Varget I was using Vihtavuori if that gives you an idea of what ny cost used to be.

Last edited by redrussell; 01-01-2012 at 03:33 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #7

Keep in mind most of my supplies this year were covered either by supplies won from matches or gift certificates received. I would rather spend that money on toys instead of ammo.

If my wife didn't shoot too o would probably be divorced but I also wouldn't use as many rounds. Varget add up at $140 per 8lb Jug. It is the one supply I have not bought in bulk. Never thought I would need that much.

Last edited by redrussell; 01-01-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:42 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

$140 for 8 lbs is going to be hard to beat. Varget is a good choice for the heavier bullets. Look at the 69 gr pills they should give better long range results. Your 1/9 should have no problems with that weight.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I am talking about getting my cost down from $.29 a shot since this last year I shot and reloaded over 50,000 rounds. Pennies add up. I am trying to find who shoots what and what their load is so I can cross reference it with my load book and see if I have tried it and also see if people on here make sense and aren't retarded. No offense ment toward anyone. I am trying save in powder if i can because high grade bullets in the heavier weights cost more even when bought in bulk. Before I down graded to Varget I was using Vihtavuori if that gives you an idea of what ny cost used to be.
Okay, I can see where you might want to switch from Vihtavuori to a different type because it is significantly more expensive than other commonly-used brands. For example a friend and I have been helping each other develop .44 mag loads. He bought a can of Vihtavuori N-110. At the local Sportman's Warehouse it cost $31.99, compared to $21.99 for W 296, H110 and Lil Gun, the other powders we tried. We got our best results from Lil Gun. This really adds up if you shoot a lot and it sounds like you do. I have used Varget a lot for my .308 loading and found it to be a very good powder. I do not think Varget is a downgrade compared to Vihtavuori.

I guess I was just thinking about a few people I know who do what I think are dumb things to try to save money with their loading. One guy tried using powder that was faster than what was called for in the recommended ranges. He thought he could use less powder this way. He once was using a powder used for .223 in his .300 Win Mag and complained it wasn't working very well. He was using Bullseye for his .44 mag loads, and this powder is not listed in most published data for this cartridge.

Anyway, I think there are smart ways to save money and dumb ways to do it. I don't shoot all the time and I am willing to spend the money for decent reloading components. I always like it when I am able to work up a load that shoots great in one of my guns. Good luck with your loading and shooting.