Barnes Varmint Grenade?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Barnes Varmint Grenade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Barnes Varmint Grenade?

Are these bullets really this effective or is it just one of those t.v. gimics?

"It's not how big your stick is, it's how hard you swing it."

"When a man lies, he murders some part of the world.
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives.
All this I cannot bear to witness any longer.
Cannot the Kingdom of Salvation take me home?"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

The bullets themselves are quite good but the effect you see in that video is from an impact at some 4,000 fps.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I LOVE that video, but they should've used the dramatic gopher .gif in it.

That would've been epic.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

They are selling a product.

That said they don't cause anymore splat factor than Hornady V-Max, Sierra Blitzkings of Noslers BT.

Everyone I have known that used them hated them. They are not accurate at all. I get superb accuracy from the Hornady V-Max and it will string the guts of a ground hog out for 10 feet behind them at 250 yards.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:36 AM   #5

"They are not accurate at all."

The 36 gr. Grenades print about 5/8 MOA out of my old Browning .22-250 at a tad over 4,150 fps. That's about as close as my old eyes can see so maybe they aren't too terribly inaccurate.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #6

Many of the guys I shoot varmints with wouldn't accept a 5/8" groups from a varmint rifle.

The biggest reason I would never buy them as they are barns and barns bullets are way over priced just as bad as Noslers.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #7

"Many of the guys I shoot varmints with wouldn't accept a 5/8" groups from a varmint rifle."

Nor did I...once. At 70, the eyes ain't what they once were. As your guys will learn in their turn if they live long enough.

Thing is, Barne's Grenades aren't inaccurate simply because some rifles don't shoot them well; that applies to any bullets made, does it not? If any one or two or three bullets were, of themselves, always "accurate" they would dominate the market, but that isn't the way it works is it?

I find Hornady's .22 cal A-Max bullets to group virtually identical and they're supposed to be "match grade". Grenades make no such claim, but they sure shoot good in my factory barrel. But, I make no blanket judgements as to how well they will work for you, your friends or anyone else. ??

Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #8

Thats fine for you. I know the guys shooting the bullets and These guys buy varmint bullets by the case and powder by 8# jugs. They tried 500 and could never get them to shoot in any of their rifles. These were not oh I shot 10 and they didn't shoot well. They tried 3 or 4 powders, different cartridges and they were not getting them to shoot to the potenital of Sierra's or Hornady's

Old 09-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #9

Yeah, it's fine for me. It's been hard on a few ground hogs and crows out passed 300 yards tho. But that 5/8 MOA isn't "average" or just occasionally by the way, it includes all rounds fired, 5 to 50.

Of course my rifle itself isn't too much. Just an old original factory Browning/Sako Safari "heavy barrel" (almost 3/4") built well before Remington made the .22-250 a factory round, it has a few rounds down the tube.

And the old Unertl 1 1/2" target scope isn't up to modern optical standards either. But, as you say, it's fine for me.

Rig looks good I guess, I get lots of compliments. It's sorta the way a classic bolt actioned varmint rifle should look, you know?

Last edited by Fuzzball; 09-12-2010 at 12:37 AM.