Barnes bullets - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Barnes bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Badlander, the Barnes bullets can be pretty finicky when it comes to accuracy loads. Most of them don't like twist rates slower than 1:10 and you need to start out with a VERY clean barrel. They like to be pushed hard.

I was told by Barnes that they have very few bullets that will stabilize with a slower than 1:10. I was hoping to use the Varmint Grenades in my .223 but the 1:12 twist is said to not stabilize them. My '06 has a 1:10 twist and it loves the 165 and 168 gr TSX better than the older coated XLCs (which also shot very well).

If your rifle has a twist rate slower than 1:10, you may be out of luck for using the TSX or TTSX. That could be the problem you are facing.

Best of luck. I have found they are great bullets and perform as flawlessly as anything out there. Others have had very poor results with them.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #12

Stick Man-I am shooting a older Rem 700 270, 1:10 twist. Shot a box of 110 ttsx's and some from a box of 130 tsx's using 3 different powders/different seating depths with what I would say is very poor result at best. Well after many frustrating days at the range I can say I done with these bullets for this gun. I know they shoot good for those that get there loads figurerd out.

Thanks guys for all the input, learn lots by asking-GOOD SITE!

IIsk

Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 AM   #13

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick_man View Post
Badlander, the Barnes bullets can be pretty finicky when it comes to accuracy loads. Most of them don't like twist rates slower than 1:10 and you need to start out with a VERY clean barrel. They like to be pushed hard.

I was told by Barnes that they have very few bullets that will stabilize with a slower than 1:10. I was hoping to use the Varmint Grenades in my .223 but the 1:12 twist is said to not stabilize them. My '06 has a 1:10 twist and it loves the 165 and 168 gr TSX better than the older coated XLCs (which also shot very well).

If your rifle has a twist rate slower than 1:10, you may be out of luck for using the TSX or TTSX. That could be the problem you are facing.

Best of luck. I have found they are great bullets and perform as flawlessly as anything out there. Others have had very poor results with them.

Now I understand why he asked what rifles I had when I talked w/ them.
Because I shoot a BLR in .308 they recommended the 150gr instead of the 165 variety. Even though it is a 1:9.5, it is a shorter barrel. My CZ527 is 1:9, so the 53gr FB was the ticket before the newer heavier tsx 62gr BT came out.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #14

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Default Barnes Bullets

Here's what I've read and seen - The Barnes bullets can be a different animal to shoot and reload.

1) Some rifles shot them OK but many rifles didn't shoot accurately with the all copper X bullet, introduced in 1989, due to the variartion in the bore/bullet diameter tolerences. Usually this was a bore toward the minimum diameter tolerence or a bullet toward the high end or both. Barnes solution in 2003 was to add 3 rings to the bullet so as to let the copper have some "flow" area along the side of the bullet - This change was called the triple shock X.

2) Barnes first marketed the all copper X bullet as to go down in bullet weight and drive them faster. Now, they have got away from this recommending heavier bullet recently, I think just to sell more bullets. I also think that the first description to lower bullet weight and drive them faster is more the best way to stabilize them.

3) Another thing I've read was where some reloaders got "out-of-the-box" and really increased the distance from the lands much more than one would normally try (i.e. 0.070"). AND guess what, they say this really worked in some rifles to improve accuracy.

Summary - If your not getting the accuracy results your wanting - Try experimenting with either a ligher bullet at a higher velocity and/or backing way off the lands. Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #15

I just bought another rifle (Kimber 8400, 270 cal.) and since I still have a few of the 130 tsx's left so after deer season I am going to try some more loads with them in this rifle. We'll see where that goes with some new ideas.