Barnes bullets
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Barnes bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barnes bullets

First off I have been loading a long time but this is a first for me, I was given a box of Barnes 110 gr ttsx bullets to try in my 270, my question is about barnes bullets, so hopefully some of you out there will be able to help me out. I started out with H-4350 and IMR 4350 at the lower end with both powders and worked up 1 and 1/2 grains with both. Everything else was per the barnes book. Results were poor at best. Well I then went and tried seating my bullets alittle farther out, same results.
Being somewhat hardheaded I went out and bought a box of 130 tsx's thinking maybe it was just the bullets and my gun. Used the same powders and right off the book again, same results. E-mailed Barnes and asked them about this and they said to go with seating my bullets .050 off my lands and fine tune from there. Well that did not get me anywhere so kept digging on the internet for more info.
I read one article that one person seated his all the way to the ogive and seen another that said he goes .080 or more, they both stated that these bullets need a good jump to perform well. How far should a guy go and is there any safety issues on how deep a person goes? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

It all depends.

There are guys who run their bullet touching the lands. That is fine but you have to load for that and you have to be percise in powder measurment and everything else.

I start at .040" off the lands and go from there.

I think you should back up a little.

Find the best load with say .050" off the lands. Then once you get the best group with that set up take that load and load 5 each at .040", .060", .030", .070". Then take that most accurate groups and break it down further. Till you get the best group you can.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 AM   #3

Liked 1285 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Some people swear by Barnes bullets,but I have never had them shoot worth a damn in any gun that I have tried them in.
Tight groups with Barnes seems to be around 1 1/2 inches at 100yrds,when I can shoot Sierra,Berger,and Nosler bullets of the same weights sub-moa out of the same gun.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #4

I went through about 20 .284" 120 grain TTSX's before I finally had to concede that 1.5"- 2" groups were the best I was going to get. At the price, I am not really ready to sling a bunch more down range at paper with .5 grain powder changes and .010" OAL length changes.

Sometimes it is what it is I guess.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #5

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 829

I have used Barnes XFB, now the TSX Flat base for a few years in my 7mm Rem Mag. and 5.56x45.
140 and 160gr shoot real well. I can tell you that although you maybe shooting 1.5" at 100 yards with them, they take longer to stabilize in flight.
Shooting from a bench is not what they are designed for. I now load them in .308 and 8x57.
I always stick w/ flat base as no matter what brand of bullets I've tried, they always shoot better in certain weights. The 180gr 8mm and 150gr .308 Barnes are the exception. You really need to stretch your distance out further. They also like to be loaded at the higher end of the data.
Did you ask Barnes to send you load data? I have data direct from Barnes on every caliber I load for.

Note the COAL:

Bullet Weight: 180 gr Bullet Style: TSX BT
COAL: 2.980" Case: R-P

8x57mm Mauser Case Trim Length: 2.230"
Primer: Fed GM210M Barrel Length: 24"
Twist Rate: 1:9.5"

S.D. 0.246 B.C. 0.381

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I went through about 20 .284" 120 grain TTSX's before I finally had to concede that 1.5"- 2" groups were the best I was going to get. At the price, I am not really ready to sling a bunch more down range at paper with .5 grain powder changes and .010" OAL length changes.

Sometimes it is what it is I guess.

Hey JC, I have some 140gr flat base I bought when they changed the name from XFB to TSX. I bought them from Barnes. They still have them listed in the close out section of their store. $19.00
Barnes Bullets - Closeout Items
I use them in 7mm Rem Mag and can give you the load data. I load them to exact OAL Barnes lists.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #7

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
they take longer to stabilize in flight.
I am calling pure BS on that statement. bullets are stabilized as soon as the leave the barrel.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I am calling pure BS on that statement. bullets are stabilized as soon as the leave the barrel.
I'll rephrase for you. Your group will not open up as one would except. If your bullet is not spinning perfectly on its' axis out of the bore, it can take time to "settle down".
I'll use a top as an example, remember when you were a kid and spun a top? Sometimes it wobbled slightly and then would straiten out, well it is the same principal. The Barnes bullet is longer than a standard cup and core lead bullet of the same weight. It takes longer to stablize. This phenominon is common w/ 7.62x54r military bullets also. 2" group w/ Hungarian silver tip out of a PSL at 100 yards, 2.5" at 300, 3.5" at 400. You would expect the group tp open up to 4" at 200, but it does not. Why? MKVII Brit .303 has the same issues.
This is a statement from one of my books.
The Mk. 7 round is anecdotally reputed by Commonwealth nations target shooters to be a more accurate round at ranges over 300 yds. than inside those distances because of the effects of drag and the spin of the bullet needing time to better stabilize the tail-heavy bullet's flight trajectory as precession and yaw minimize.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Hey JC, I have some 140gr flat base I bought when they changed the name from XFB to TSX. I bought them from Barnes. They still have them listed in the close out section of their store. $19.00
Barnes Bullets - Closeout Items
I use them in 7mm Rem Mag and can give you the load data. I load them to exact OAL Barnes lists.
Thanks, I'll give them a look. Appreciate the heads up.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Waiting on this call! Bet I'll wait a while. The All knowing being is God. He lives in a better place then you or I do. Tango, stop F*cking w/ sh!t you really don't know about. We have always had common ground, But there is a line. Have you ever used Barnes Bullets?