Bad reloads?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bad reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 399 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Bad reloads?

Hey everyone, this is my first thread, so I hope I did this right.

Anyway, I had a friend of mine reload some .270 win ammo for me and when I got them I noticed the bullets seem to be really far out of the casing, I've attached a photo of one of the bullets. Does anyone think this could be a problem? Also, could it effect accuracy at all?

He also loaded a few .30-06 casings with the .270 win bullet and said it would be fine. I'm very hesitant to try those. any input on these worries would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #2

I would not shoot any of that ammo.Anyone who loads 270 cal. bullets in an 30-06 and say's it's ok is scary.As for the 270 ammo compare the over all length with a factory round then don't shoot it no matter the length.

3%er All the way!

Old 04-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Reloading and guns are two things that everyone considers himself to be an expert on. I have heard some horror stories that is amazing that someone survived. When someone handloads for someone else they are taking many things for granted. Every firearm has different specifcations. If the bullets are set to an overall lenght in excess of maximum industry standards then this is a statement of the reloaders inexperence. By the way it was common practice years ago to use 30-06 cases to load 270's, it was a safe practice as both rounds share the same datum specs. In more affulient times it is easy enough to get proper headstamped brass, thus eliminating any chance of confusion.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #4

nothing at all wrong with using 30-06 brass to make .270 as long as you know what your doing. Check the over all case length, then do what you have to do.