Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Bad reloads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Bad reloads?

Hey everyone, this is my first thread, so I hope I did this right.

Anyway, I had a friend of mine reload some .270 win ammo for me and when I got them I noticed the bullets seem to be really far out of the casing, I've attached a photo of one of the bullets. Does anyone think this could be a problem? Also, could it effect accuracy at all?

He also loaded a few .30-06 casings with the .270 win bullet and said it would be fine. I'm very hesitant to try those. any input on these worries would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all.

imag0032.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

.30-06 IS the parent case for the .270. The .270 is little more than a necked down .30-06. This is perfectly proper, IF it is sized properly.

Does the loaded round fit the magazine of your rifle? Is it too long? Will it chamber w/o resistance and extract w/o leaving the bullet in the barrel? If it fits, it fits.

The more important question is do you trust this friend? What lad did he use. What powder and how much?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-13-2010, 04:18 AM   #3

Just eye ballin that .270 round it looks to me like the bullet is about to fall off. I bet if you gave it a little pull it would come right out. It may chamber with out falling out, but I aint shootin it.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 AM   #4

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It took a great deal of force to fully chamber the bullet into the gun. He used IMR 4350 powder. He gave me three different dosages: 51, 53, and 55. It is a 130 grain bullet. I did shoot a few of the 51 bullets, and although my aim is hardly what I call great, I know i wasn't shooting 12" groups at 50 yards all by myself.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 AM   #5

My guess is that the force required as you mentioned was you seating the bullet in with the lands of the rifle barrel. DO NOT DO THIS. This person loading your ammo doesnt have a clue and you guys are going to get hurt or worse.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER. 55gr is a MAX load according to Hodgdons web site. Your OAL should be between 3.18" and 3.23" measured from tip of bullet to base of cartridge. If you shoot that 55 gr load it may well blow your face off.

First if you yourself don't handload please buy factory ammo. That bullet may be seated half teh way down the neck.

Seating a bullet that is into the lands is ok when you know what your doing. He DOESN'T have a CLUE what he is doing.

Really it is not a big deal have him look at the load data and measure the Overall Length (OAL) of the loaded round and seat them to the proper depth.

If you watch NCIS I think dude needs a Gibbs head slap.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #7

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I use no ones reloads nor do I reload for anyone but myself and my son. If I need ammo while I am out then I buy factory loads but I use my own reloads most of the time.

I know each of my loads and take great pains to insure they are with in specs and reliable. I do not hot load anything, and you cannot be assured that someone else's reloads are not hot loads. Even with you doing the reloading mastakes happen.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #8

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I use no ones reloads nor do I reload for anyone but myself and my son. If I need ammo while I am out then I buy factory loads but I use my own reloads most of the time.

I know each of my loads and take great pains to insure they are with in specs and reliable. I do not hot load anything, and you cannot be assured that someone else's reloads are not hot loads. Even with you doing the reloading mastakes happen.
+1 I have had people ask me to load for them. I always refuse.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #9

In my humble and limited experience, I have found that head spacing varies for each firearm I have loaded for. While the listed COAL is a good general guide that should keep rounds fitting in all firearms of that caliber, each rifle you are loading for should be gauged for it's particular optimum head space. OAL Gauges Accurately determine overall cartridge length for proper bullet free run and bullet-seating depth of the chamber measured. I have a Ruger 77 that has an unusually long head space, but when gauged and loads made for it, they are 1/4 MOA. I could never get that accurate with factory loads or by loading to the recommended COAL. In the absence of a OAL Gauge, I always follow the Specifications in my LOAD MANUAL. I would get a Caliper and measure the Overall Length of your cartridges and compare with the COAL listed in the manual for the specific bullet.

Just my $.02

Brig

Old 04-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #10

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

Any round that I make will chamber into the weapon it was intended to effortlessly. I always make a few dummy rounds that I mark with a blue marker. I make sure that I can cycle a full mag through without any trouble before I proceed to actual loading. I would never shoot something that feels like you are describing.

The 270 vs 30-06 thing is ok. But it should feel like a factory round. I use 30-06 and 270 to make 8mm mauser.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 04-18-2010 at 02:23 PM.