Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   Bad Hornady TAP .45 ACP (

yayamamasami 03-16-2013 02:12 PM

Bad Hornady TAP .45 ACP
I bought 400 rds of .45-ACP +P 230-gr HP TAP XTP FPD ammo from Buds Police Supply. The ammo smelled of mildew so I wiped down each round and stored them in a clean ammo can. Took it to the range and every round I fired (40, two boxes) didn't have enough power to cycle the slide. I don't reload yet, but is it safe to deconstruct the ammo and reload with fresh powder? Buds said "Tough luck. All sales final!"

Overkill0084 03-16-2013 02:27 PM

Call Hornady and see if they can give you any love before you start the disassembly process. A bit of mold shouldn't destroy quality ammo.
In answer to your question, Yes. It is safe to disassemble the rounds. Assuming that the proper tools are used. The kinetic (hammer style) seems like a long afternoon when your talking 360 ish rounds. Though it will work.

clr8ter 03-16-2013 02:37 PM

Sounds like the important question is "how did the mold get there"? Do the ammo boxes appear to have been soaked in water? Does submerging ammo in water allow leakage into the powder? Seems to me that even though ammo is generally a non-returnable item, that is piss-poor customer service........

yayamamasami 03-16-2013 03:48 PM

The 10 boxes of 20 rds came in 200 rd cardboard boxes. The brass was a bit tarnished, that's why I cleaned the ammo. The cardboard box didn't seem to have been submersed in water. Some of the hollow points did have some white "mold" on the lead. The boxes smelled of mold, as well as the plastic the bullets were in. I know that sometimes when we get opened cases of ammo from the Arms Room, the bandoliers smell of mold but the ammo fires fine. I didn't think much of it except to wipe down all 400 rds. I didn't use cleaner, just clean cotton towels.

Thanks for the info on being able to reload the ammo. I have a friend that has reload equipment.

I was somewhat surprised at the "ammo as is". The ammo was $16/box. Retail is $24.95. Guess maybe they knew. It really turned me off of buying ammo online.

locutus 03-16-2013 05:55 PM

Even if that ammo was completely sybmerged for 6 months, it shouldn't be effected.

Both the primer and bullet are sealed in.

Betcha Hornady will gladly replace it.

That's another good reason to only buy duty ammo that has a sealed primer and bullet.

yayamamasami 03-16-2013 05:58 PM

I'll have to call Hornady. Thanks for the input, everyone!!

locutus 03-16-2013 06:04 PM

Your "military" ammo has the primers sealed with lacquer and the bullets sealed in with asphaltic varnish. Premium self defense/duty ammo should have the same.

clr8ter 03-16-2013 06:59 PM

So ammo can be submerged, huh? Didn't know that, but good to know.......

locutus 03-16-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1178134)
So ammo can be submerged, huh? Didn't know that, but good to know.......

"Premium" ammo can.

One test I did in the past after sealing some of my reloads was to put then in a pail of water for 30 days and see if they fired. All of mine did. Primers were sealed with lacquer, and bullets were also. (not the best way, but I had no way of applying asphaltic varnish at home.)

Today, premium ammo is available in all calibers, as well as miltary ammo in 5.56, 9MM and 7.62, so I no longer hand load for the "war reserve.":D (TEOTWAWKI, SHTF, etc.:p:p)

clr8ter 03-16-2013 10:54 PM

Cool. I just bought some Hornady Critical Duty, so I guess it's good to go if I drop it in the lake....:D