Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Average Reload Speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

Default Average Reload Speed

hey, just to get a grasp of the average reload speed of various people, I was wondering if you could spare a few minutes to list the following:

1: How experienced you are with guns
2: How long it takes you to reload a handgun magazine (please mention the size magazine you're talking about)

This'll help a ton for my novel, so I'd really appreciate your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

it depends on where the loose ammo is. is it in a box, loose in a pocket, boxed in a pocket etc. i dont typically carry loose rounds as i have a ton of magazines. for my 1911 it takes maybe 7-10 seconds to load a seven round mag with rounds in hand. 15-20 seconds to load my 15 round bersa thunder 380 mags. about 15 secs to load my colt python with loose rounds maybe 7-10 sec to use a speed loader. im not fast with a revolver as it isnt a self defense gun and its used pretty much range only.

there are folks waaaay faster than me.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Im an avid shooter. Im also a successful shooter in IDPA. Pretty experienced.

I just stopwatched myself multiple times, averaging 12 second for 10 rounds into my Glock 34 mags.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #4

Liked 223 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 179

What? Revolver reloads don't count?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
What? Revolver reloads don't count?
Well, reloading a revolver is completely different from reloading a handgun, right? I'm trying to get an idea of non-revolver reloading speed really, but I suppose it could help to hear revolver reloading speeds too...

Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 PM   #6

SDJohnathan you have a novle idea there, didnt think they had to reload when it comes to tv or books

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtsmoke View Post
SDJohnathan you have a novle idea there, didnt think they had to reload when it comes to tv or books
lol, punny.

Yeah, that "botomless magazines" thing is exactly what I want to avoid. Partly because it makes for more tension and fear, and also because it makes the use of melee weapons less stupid. The problems of ammo would obviously be at their worst in a horror setting.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8446 Times on 3664 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

If you already know this, please excuse the lecture-

With a semi auto pistol, it is customary to have more than one loaded magazine. Rather than shoot mag empty, remove it, reload it, return it to the gun, chamber a round, and continue shooting, the standard practice is to shoot, drop empty mag, insert fresh mag, chamber round, shoot. Elapsed time 1-3 seconds. Even faster- shoot until last round has been chambered from the magazine, Mag is now empty, gun is not. Press release, drop empty mag, insert fresh mag, continue shooting. Depending on your deterity, elapsed time under 1/2 second. At some point, you WILL need to reload those empty mags, but that is after you win the firefight. Lose, and you do not need to reload.

A revolver may be reloaded very quickly using a speed loader. Standard drill on one of the police courses was fire 6, empty, reload, fire 6 more, MAX 25 second time limit. With a good speed loader, no problem. Standard practice on a revolver for right handed shooters- press cylinder release with right hand. Left hand, palm up, thumb towards muzzle. Fingers push cylinder open, thumb shoves ejector rod down. Right hand inserts speed loader, twists to release (gun is now cradled in left hand, left fingers steadying cylinder). Right hand back on grip, left thumb pushes cylinder closed.

About 50 years experience (God, when did THAT happen? )

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-19-2010 at 10:43 PM.