Arisaka - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Arisaka

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
"Another states that a standard .264 win is the same"

That's great, but quite harmless error. You couldn't get a "standard .264 Win." to enter the chamber!
A 264 win is a belted magnum cartridge. It will not chamber in a 6.5x50 chamber.

The Japs sorta shot themselves in the foot with their small arms ammunition. They had so many rifle cartridges the troops in combat often found themselves with lots of ammo for guns they didn't have!

Quote:
Not only is that Jap 6.5x50 ammo going to be hard to find, if it's possible at all, even finding reloading dies for it will be difficult. You likely have a wall-hanger.
Reloading dies are made by
Hornady: MidwayUSA - Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Lee: MidwayUSA - Lee Pacesetter 2-Die Set 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Redding: MidwayUSA - Redding 2-Die Set 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Brass by Norma: MidwayUSA - Norma Brass 6.5x50mm Japanese Arisaka

Ammo: Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

Old 06-20-2009, 06:49 PM   #12

Default 6.5 jap

I buy my brass from Grafs,it has gone up but was $40ish for 100.the japs did not shoot themselves in the foot.the 6.5 cal was quite popular whe the japs made there rifles in early 1900.they found it was not doing as well so made the 7.7.and those were the two cart.remember we had the 30/06 and the 30 carbine.and they had one pistol sub gun cart , and we had several.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #13

you are right about the dies... i contacted rcbs on that regard and was told they do make them, but they are special order dies and cost are $149.00

Old 03-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #14

Default Arisaka ??

I too recently got an Arisaka....problem is the guy said i was a 7.7
I try to chamber 7.7 the case will not go all the way in and seat.
I put the 7.7 bullet at the end of the barrel ...it will go down 2/3rds

If I put a 6.5 carc in the chamber (bolt out) it will seat all the way down the case

The 6.5x52 bullet is real sloppy at the end of the barrel ...it will go all the way down to the neck ???//

Mark

Old 03-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #15

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Not only is that Jap 6.5x50 ammo going to be hard to find, if it's possible at all, even finding reloading dies for it will be difficult. You likely have a wall-hanger.
Well the very first place I checked (Graf And Sons) had 3 different manufacturer dies sets for 6.5 Jap. They also had 5 different brands of ammo. That was so easy I stopped looking.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You can find 6.5 x 50 (6.5 Japanese) from both Norma and Hornady (made by Privi Partisan) at several on-line suppliers.

The RCBS dies are very expensive, I bought a set of Lee dies, and then a Hornady neck sizing die (my Type 38 has chamber issues).

The most common Arisakas are the Type 38 (6.5 Jap) and the Type 99 (7.7 Jap). There is a Type 30, which was a late 1890's pedecsessor to the Type-38, and a Type 44, which is a carbine version of the Type 38.

For information on your Arisaka, check out:

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II for identification markings

TXnorton

Old 03-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #17

thanks guys not sure i understand yet....if I get 6.5x50 jap will the bullet be larger than a carc 6.5....i know that the case is different but the 6.5 carc is 6.5x52...and it is real sloppy at the end of the barrel.....won't a 6.5x50 jap be even sloppier ?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhatz View Post
thanks guys not sure i understand yet....if I get 6.5x50 jap will the bullet be larger than a carc 6.5....i know that the case is different but the 6.5 carc is 6.5x52...and it is real sloppy at the end of the barrel.....won't a 6.5x50 jap be even sloppier ?
The 6.5 x 50 Japanese is not the same as the 6.5 Caracano. The 6.5 Jap uses a .264 diameter bullet, the Caracano uses a slightly larger bullet due to its unique rifling.

The 6.5 x 50 Japanese cartridge was never chambered in any commercial rifle. It was ONLY used by the Japaense military.

Take your Arisaka to a competent gunsmith and have him gauge the barrel and cast the chamber. Many Arisaka's were GI "bring homes" during/after the second world war. Many were re-barreled or re-chambered for more (then) commercially available ammo. The very first centerfire rifle I ever shot was my cousin's Arisaka that had been sporterized and re-chambered for .257 Roberts.

Go to the webstes I had posted earlier. Interpret the Japanese kanji markings on the top of the receiver, that will confirm what model you have. With good markings you should also be able to tell when it was manufactured (within a range of years). If you see a "0 0" stamped ahead of the serial number that means that the rifle was designated "for school use ony". This means that for some reason the rifle was not up to spec for combat service - Unfortunately, I learned that tid-bit of information the hard way.

Be aware that the Type 38 (assuming you do have a 6.5 x 50) was first manufactured in 1905 and up through the early 1940's. Your rifle may have had CONSIDERABLE use, and the barrel may be "shot-out". Also some Arisakas have "chamber issues". Mine has excessive head space problems and if you are not a reloader this may not be satisfactory for you. Again, take it to a competent gunsmith to be sure you know what you have.

TXnorton

Old 03-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #19

okay...thanks the serial number is 012433 ....the receiver has 2 gas vent holes...from research I belive that would mean 6.5mm....a 6.5 mm bullet is real sloppy in the barrel when lowered in at the end of the barrel. when I take a 7.7x58 arisaka load ...i purchased 2 boxes online....the cartridge will load into the chamber about 2/3rds..( i remove bolt and slide it in). it will not seat it gets stuck...when I take the 7.7x58 and slide it in at the end of the barrel it is tight down to about the last 1/4 of the bullet ahead of the case. I purchased the gun online and it is a sporter and listed as a 7.7.....so does that mean that the guy put a 7.7 barrel on a 6.5 receiver...can that be...
i can go off line with someone and send pics imhatz@aol.com

Old 03-14-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

ihatz - PM sent.

TXnorton