Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   AR load development question (

ah141nj 12-20-2009 09:26 PM

AR load development question
I am planning on doing some load development of various bullets & powders.
I am reducing the max load of each published load for my applications. I then will increase my loads by .3 increments. (is .3 increments suitable for .223 loads)

How inportant is to make loads up of the lower charges on the spectrum?
Dont you get better results from the midrange to higher loads? ie, accuracy, cycling, less fouling.

Should I even bother with the lower loads?

cpttango30 12-20-2009 10:31 PM

I have found that 99% of the rifles I owned of loaded for shoot best when you have them loaded to the base of the neck than being said.

Never go below min loads listed and never excede max loads listed. If you do that I normally run .2 incraments but .3 will work as well.

Many times I will load 20 starting in the middle and working up my 1 grain at a time. Once I find the best shooter I start there and and load -.2, -.4, -.6, -.8 then .2, .4, .6, .8 if I can go that far and stay in the safety zone. I load 5 with each load and see who shoots the best. After that I may play with seating depth a little to see if that helps.

Txhillbilly 12-21-2009 12:20 AM

+1 with Tango.

hunter Joe 12-21-2009 03:26 AM

I agree with tango 100%. Stay within the limits and find a load that your firearm likes to eat. Don't let this get out but this is what makes reloading so gratifying.