AR .223 with IMR 4320?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

AR .223 with IMR 4320?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR .223 with IMR 4320?

Hi folks. New to forum and reloading. Just bought a del-ton echo 316H and looking to get into reloading. I have a Lee breech lock challenger single stage press. Had allot of trouble finding powder so took what I could find. I ended up with IMR 4320. Anybody building ammo for AR with this powder? Also wondering about use of the varmint nightmare bullets in a 16" 1:9 barrel. It's a faster twist than spec'd but with a shorter barrel I was thinking muzzle velocity and hence rotational forces would be lighter with shorter barrel.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #2

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

http://www.imrpowder.com/

You can load with it. But, it has very large grains and you might get some stuck in the case. You are going to be getting very full cases and many of the top end loads are going to be compressed loads. You might need to use a powder drop tube of 4 to 6" in length to get all the powder in the case. The powder isn't going to meter very well either because of the large grains.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1420 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 797

The Midsouth Varmint Nightmare bullets will do just fine in your AR. If you don't have them already, you better act fast as the only ones in stock are my favorite 55gr Hollow Point and they will not last long.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=JACKETED+RIFLE &dept3=.224+DIA&dept4=TRADITIONAL&vendors=MIDSO UTH

Quote:
in a 16" 1:9 barrel. It's a faster twist than spec'd but with a shorter barrel I was thinking muzzle velocity and hence rotational forces would be lighter with shorter barrel.
Note sure what you are getting at here, sorry.

The twist rate listed in the loading manuals is of little importance, I ignore it.

Your barrel length will affect velocity and that's about it. If your load data used a 24 inch barrel then expect the same load in your 16 inch barrel to be about 200fps less.

Your 1-9 twist is a good compromise between the 1-7/1-12 twists out there. You will be fine with bullets from 50 to 70gr. You may even have good luck with lighter or even heavier, but to start out I would go with the 53-55gr.

From Hodgdon on IMR 4320.

Short granulation, easy metering, and perfect for the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 250 Savage, and other medium burn rate cartridges. Long a top choice for the vintage 300 Savage cartridge as well.

You will be fine with this powder, just expect your charges to fill the case and eventually compressed. Don't get nervous about "compression" it is perfectly safe and preferred by many.

Note the "C" in Hodgdon's data after the max charge if 4320 with 55gr Speer SP. The "C" means compressed and is expected and it's going to happen, go with it you will be fine. Just add the powder slow or with a long drop tube so as not to spill it over the top.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Old 08-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 1123 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric
The Midsouth Varmint Nightmare bullets will do just fine in your AR. If you don't have them already, you better act fast as the only ones in stock are my favorite 55gr Hollow Point and they will not last long.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=JACKETED+RIFLE &dept3=.224+DIA&dept4=TRADITIONAL&vendors=MIDSO UTH

Note sure what you are getting at here, sorry.

The twist rate listed in the loading manuals is of little importance, I ignore it.

Your barrel length will affect velocity and that's about it. If your load data used a 24 inch barrel then expect the same load in your 16 inch barrel to be about 200fps less.

Your 1-9 twist is a good compromise between the 1-7/1-12 twists out there. You will be fine with bullets from 50 to 70gr. You may even have good luck with lighter or even heavier, but to start out I would go with the 53-55gr.

From Hodgdon on IMR 4320.

Short granulation, easy metering, and perfect for the 223 Remington, 22-250 Remington, 250 Savage, and other medium burn rate cartridges. Long a top choice for the vintage 300 Savage cartridge as well.

You will be fine with this powder, just expect your charges to fill the case and eventually compressed. Don't get nervous about "compression" it is perfectly safe and preferred by many.

Note the "C" in Hodgdon's data after the max charge if 4320 with 55gr Speer SP. The "C" means compressed and is expected and it's going to happen, go with it you will be fine. Just add the powder slow or with a long drop tube so as not to spill it over the top.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Now that is good info. Thanks! I wondered what the "c" following some of the max loads meant. They've never followed any of the loads that I've done or I would have inquired about it. You learn something new every day!
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 08-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks to all for detailed replies. Good to know about the compressed loads. That would have concerned me for sure.

I have not purchased bullets yet but I guess I'll stick exactly to the recipes to start with. The price on the varmint nightmare makes it very interesting though.

One last question for now. I have the single stage Lee press but was also considering the Lee classic loader. I have heard there might be problems in a semi- auto without the full length re-size. Is this true even if the brass has only been fired in my gun?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1420 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 797

Yes, all semi-autos require a Full Length size.

Failure to do so can cause all sorts of problems from simple jamming to slam-fires or even out of battery fires. Although the latter two are almost impossible in an AR platform, "almost" isn't good enough.

This is a good read on handloading for semi-autos. Pay particular attention to the section on sizing.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #7

Thanks! Looks like I'm going to stick with full length re-sizing. Thanks for the link too. I need all the information I can get.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Some autos work better with small base dies rather than the normal full length sizer. Basically, it just undersizes them a little. Not saying you'll need the SB dies, but you might check into them. The RCBS AR series dies work very well for me.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:28 AM   #9

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

As long as you full length size your brass it will be fine. No need to waste money of small base dies IHMO.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 384

great site, am new to reloading and that site is very informative. Thank you

Newest Threads