AR 15 brass question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > AR 15 brass question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default AR 15 brass question

I have been reloading for many years, and I am building my first AR 15. I reload for myself in 264 mag, 270 and 7mm Mag. I only neck size my brass for these rifles to cut down on brass stress, and was wondering if 223 brass needs to be full length resized after firing, or will just doing a neck size work since they will only be used in the same rifle. Thanks for any info you pros can give me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

In the AR rifle I think you need to full length size it everytime and use small base dies as well. I am not 100% on this as I don't load 223 for an AR......

Old 12-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #3

Definitely full length size any and all brass intended for semi-auto use. Unless you have a match chamber I see no need to go to the small base dies. I use standard FL RCBS dies in reloading for my AR and have never had a problem.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Depending on the dimensions of your chamber, full length sizing will likely be appropriate. Some prefer small base to insure feeding reliability under adverse conditions.
Remember to trim your brass, especially if using 5.56 bases a they tend to start off a little long and will stretch with firing/resizing. I have seen a gun blown because of untrimmed cases and a slightly (.3 grains) over charged powder payload.