Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   application of protective coatings on the lead (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/application-protective-coatings-lead-17857/)

hunter2222 09-09-2009 12:58 PM

application of protective coatings on the lead

Please help!
1. How synthetic or polymer coating can be covered on a lead bullet (to protect against oxidation,protection of the gun barrel )?
2. What thickness of coating (jacket)?
3. How to ensure a standard the same coating thickness,the whole area of the bullet?

RL357Mag 09-09-2009 01:15 PM

Not sure what you are asking...but I never heard of a "protective coating" for any lead bullets. .22 ammo is sometimes coated with a wax based lubricant by the manufacturer. Oxidation won't occur for many years, and it doesn't harm anything, and most bullets used in centerfire guns are copper jacketted. Remember that whatever you apply to the bullet will end up in your barrel.

BILLYBOB44 09-09-2009 04:20 PM

S&W Nyclad ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter2222 (Post 157273)
Please help!
1. How synthetic or polymer coating can be covered on a lead bullet (to protect against oxidation,protection of the gun barrel )?
2. What thickness of coating (jacket)?
3. How to ensure a standard the same coating thickness,the whole area of the bullet?

Hunter, it's very poss. that you are speaking of the old S&W Nyclad bullets. They did have a polymer coating, that was suppose to help in penetration, and feeding. Some talk of penetrating bullet proof vest, I believe that was unproven?? The Black Talon=very much hated by the anti-gun libs. also had a type of coating?? Some rifle bullets are Moly coated (black) with the idea to reduce friction, and increase bullet speed. To join in with the others-yes-any coating on a bullet will have to be cleaned out of your barrel sooner or later.. IMO=none of these "Space Age" coatings are worth the $-time-effort to use.:confused::p

robocop10mm 09-09-2009 05:47 PM

S&W (later sold to Federal) Nyclad was a nylon polymer powder baked on. The bullet was dead soft lead hollowpoint. The nylon helped prevent barrel leading and (perhaps) feeding. Absolutely not armor piercing (the soft lead bullet would not go through soft body armor. We had one doofus arrest a guy for possession of armor piercing ammo for having Nyclad ammo in his BHP. I had to straigten it out and get the charges dismissed.

You can Moly coat lead bullets but Moly has a reputation for building up in barrels.

hunter2222 09-09-2009 08:00 PM

Thank you for your answers! I understood situation!..:o
About the antioxidizing lubricant,
you can write more?

WILDCATT 09-13-2009 11:38 PM

ammo

if you take care of your ammo like you should you wont get oxidation.
as an aside have you seen the civil war bullets picked up from the battle fields.other than the color they look like they were just made.I have many cartridges and they are 50 100 yrs old. the cases will turn color but thats all.

robocop10mm 09-15-2009 12:44 AM

Oxidation does happen but is not fast and is not overly concerning. If the ammo is stored in moist conditions, the exposed lead will oxidyze. Generally, if the bullet is oxidized badly the cartridge is probably damaged from the moisture also. Keep ammo and unloaded bullets in similar cool, dry conditions and they will keep for the next generation.