Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Is anyone using a Lee Turret press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I tried the charge bar but was not happy, seemed to spill powder everywhere. Again others have told me that it is the answer to the problem I was having but again, not impressed.

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 08-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a Redding T-7 Turret press, but I dont see why the Lee would not work for you as well. I still use my RCBS Rock Chucker and the Redding to load most of my rifle ammo. Set up a RCBS Partner press also that has a universal decapping die so I can decap all brass and clean and prep before I start reloading. I also just dont like primer stations so I hand prime all the cases as well. For handgun ammo I have 2 Dillon 550B's and they do just fine for mass loading. But your set up sounds fine. Reloading is always a very subjective activity and what works best for you, works best for you. Good luck.

Bill
NRA Life Member

"Democracy is two wolves and one lamb voting what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote" Ben Franklin

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45

"It is God’s job to judge and forgive my enemy, I only arrange the meeting." Unidentified Marine

Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 AM   #13

i have 2 pro-1000s that i modified to suit me. this requires me to de-prime and re-size on a single stage and reprime with a hand tool but once i move the prepped cases to the lee, the loaded rounds pile up quick.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a 4 stage Lee Turret and have loaded 1000's upon 1000's. I agree with Wooley though, I don't use to size or prime any cases. I have a another single stage that does all of that.

As for as the powder disk system, there are certain powders that work better. Any fine powder like HP-38, 321, Ramshot Zip works great and usually come out +/- .1 grain every time.

Unless you need to load 500+ an hour the Turret would work great.

My .02

Stag1

Endowment Lifetime NRA Member, Certified CCW/Pistol instructor.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them". – Richard Henry Lee 1788

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooleybooger View Post
i have 2 pro-1000s that i modified to suit me. this requires me to de-prime and re-size on a single stage and reprime with a hand tool but once i move the prepped cases to the lee, the loaded rounds pile up quick.
How did you modify the pro 1000s. I've watched them in action on You Tube and they seem pretty complete. If you de-prime/resize in one operation and then reprime by hand, then you have nearly defeated the purpose of the progressive. In that case, a three hole turret would work great even though it would loose some of it's usefulness.

It's a pain to prime by hand, but then you can clean check each case for a clean pocket first and ream the pocket if necessary. I can see your point. I wonder how much longer it takes you to do your method than to use the turret or pro 1000 as its set up. Thanks for the input.

Dave

Old 08-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #16

i could never get the primer system to work so did away with it altogether. i kept the case feed and added a bullet feed that i modified to work in a new position on the press. my first die is the powder drop followed by the bullet seater and taper crimp. load the tubes with primed cases and bullets,the hopper with powder and go to town. i usually prep and prime after work and load on saturdays for a sunday shoot. loading 500 rds of prepped cases on a saturday morning is nothing.since ive modified my presses and switched to this method ive never had to stop to clear a problem

Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooleybooger View Post
i could never get the primer system to work so did away with it altogether. i kept the case feed and added a bullet feed that i modified to work in a new position on the press. my first die is the powder drop followed by the bullet seater and taper crimp. load the tubes with primed cases and bullets,the hopper with powder and go to town. i usually prep and prime after work and load on saturdays for a sunday shoot. loading 500 rds of prepped cases on a saturday morning is nothing.since ive modified my presses and switched to this method ive never had to stop to clear a problem
That sounds like a real plan. Can you post pictures of your press? maybe from two or three sides. It sounds like it should be really easy to kick bullets out. Thanks again for the information.

Dave

Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #18

I use my Pro1000 to deprime with no powder or bullets in it, the cases just go through the press. Then I prime by hand, load up the powder and bullets in the press, bring the de-prime pin up in the die, and start pumping out loaded rounds.
Kinda the same thing but with one press. De-primes faster than a single stage.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:44 AM   #19

now youve got me wondering- where the hell,s my camera? bushman has got me thinking about another mod. i sometimes take my stuff to work and prime on my lunch break. i have 1 press for 45acp and the other for 223.

Last edited by wooleybooger; 08-07-2011 at 01:46 AM. Reason: add more info