Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Is anyone using a Lee Turret press?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Is anyone using a Lee Turret press?

My reloading setup that has worked for years features a classic Lee single stage (Big D or O shape) press mounted to the table, to do the depriming/resizing, then for setting the bullet. I have a smaller Lee C type press about a foot away that does the expanding and crimping. I run a case through the depriming/resizing process, then expand it on the second press. Then I check the primer pockets and reprime with a Lee hand held primer. I change dies, and set the case in the first press, add powder, and set the bullet, then move it to the second press for a crimp. Done.

Its more efficient than having one single stage press, but I figured that for probably $150 or less, I could go to a 4-hole turret with an auto feed for powder, and an on board primer. I should be able to do lots more with less fatigue and just as much quality. What is your experience and your thoughts. Can't aford to go with a Dillon progressive or any other model and other brands of turret presses are a lot more expensive. Thanks for your input.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 552

dgray,I have 2 Lee Turret presses.The Classic,and the Deluxe,I have had them for many years and have loaded thousands of rounds with them.
I use the Classic for all my rifle needs,and use the Deluxe with the auto-index to load my pistol rounds.
There are more expensive Turret presses out there,but they don't do anything better or faster than the cheap'ol Lee's.

Here's a link if you want a great deal on them-

Lee CLASSIC TURRET PRESS

Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 648

i bought one at a yard sale for 20 bucks... but being young, it is missing a few parts and i am not ready to pursue getting the needed parts... i think i'll save my money for an rcbs kit

Old 07-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And where is Tango?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #5

I was gifted a RCBS rock chucked and love it for rifle reloading. I did get impatient with it for pistol reloading and decided to go progressive. Money was tight so I ended up with a Lee Pro 1000. First of all, I do regret it however am too cheap to buy the Hornady. The pro is ok but it does have a large learning curve. The powder measurer is not nearly as accurate as I would like it to be. To solve this I ordered the Hornady powder measurer along with all of the necessary components to load the 9,40 and 45 rounds.

Having said all of that depending on what powder you use the pro measurer may be fine. No. 2 works well and I hear that 231 works well as also.

Having said all of that from what I hear the lee turret presses are a much better option when compared to the pro. If I had it to do over again I would defiantly have gone with the Hornady but considering my financial situation I would probably have had to go with the lee turret.

Not sure if I contributed much to this or not but I guess what I am trying to say is stay away from the pro1000.

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 07-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #6

yes, works great.

003.jpg  

You may find me dead in a ditch one day, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass!

Old 07-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
And where is Tango?
Cane,Don't start pouring gas on a fire.That's all we need is his anti-Lee ranting.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
I was gifted a RCBS rock chucked and love it for rifle reloading. I did get impatient with it for pistol reloading and decided to go progressive. Money was tight so I ended up with a Lee Pro 1000. First of all, I do regret it however am too cheap to buy the Hornady. The pro is ok but it does have a large learning curve. The powder measurer is not nearly as accurate as I would like it to be. To solve this I ordered the Hornady powder measurer along with all of the necessary components to load the 9,40 and 45 rounds.

Having said all of that depending on what powder you use the pro measurer may be fine. No. 2 works well and I hear that 231 works well as also.

Having said all of that from what I hear the lee turret presses are a much better option when compared to the pro. If I had it to do over again I would defiantly have gone with the Hornady but considering my financial situation I would probably have had to go with the lee turret.

Not sure if I contributed much to this or not but I guess what I am trying to say is stay away from the pro1000.
This is one thing I do agree with Tango on.
Lee progressive presses SUCK!

If you want a progressive press,buy a Dillon.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got a Lee 4 hole turret and I've loaded thousands of rounds with it. The only thing I don't like about it is the powder disk system. You need to make sure you keep them static free or you may get an occasional odd charge. An easy fix is rubbing them with a dryer sheet before you start loading. For the money, I think they're hard to beat.
Having spoken kindly of them I will add this. When I buy my own house and have a proper loading bench I will buy a better press. I got this press so I could find out if I liked reloading...turns out I do, a lot so I can now justify the expense of a better press.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. Has anyone tried the Lee Adjustable Charge Bar? It's supposed to be better than the disks. I really appreciate all the answers. JJfuller1, do you want to sell the one you have? Thanks a again for the help. I'll go turret and not progressive in the Lee

Dave