Anyone using a Hornady hand primer?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Anyone using a Hornady hand primer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Anyone using a Hornady hand primer?

I have been using my Lee forever and it works well on every shell except for .40 S&W. Tough job. I thought I'd try another brand. Didn't want to pay through the nose for an RCBS. Hornady reviews were good, but I can't tell if you need to buy separate shell holders for the Hornady or if the Lee shell holders will work. Thanks for the help.

Dave

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have not tried the Horndady unit, but I had been using a Lee hand primer tool (it was cheap). After about a year, I broke the lever on it, As I already had the Lee shell holder set, I bought a second Lee tool. After about 6 months of heavy use, I broke the lever on it as well. So I have thrown the cheap POS away and just bought and recieved a new RCBS hand primer tool.

The replacement Lee units are only $15 (excluding the shell holder set) and the RCBS was just over $50, but after two failures of the Lee units I just got frustrated with the damn things breaking when I was in the middle of a batch of re-loads.

The RCBS tool looks and feels much stronger. I have not tried it out yet, but I have a batch of .308 to re-load this week-end, so I'll give it a go then. The RCBS unit has a universal shell holder so you do not need to buy a set of shell holders.

TXnorton