Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Ammunition & Reloading (
-   -   Anyone using a Hornady hand primer? (

dgray64 03-25-2010 02:08 AM

Anyone using a Hornady hand primer?
I have been using my Lee forever and it works well on every shell except for .40 S&W. Tough job. I thought I'd try another brand. Didn't want to pay through the nose for an RCBS. Hornady reviews were good, but I can't tell if you need to buy separate shell holders for the Hornady or if the Lee shell holders will work. Thanks for the help.

TXnorton 03-25-2010 01:06 PM

I have not tried the Horndady unit, but I had been using a Lee hand primer tool (it was cheap). After about a year, I broke the lever on it, As I already had the Lee shell holder set, I bought a second Lee tool. After about 6 months of heavy use, I broke the lever on it as well. So I have thrown the cheap POS away and just bought and recieved a new RCBS hand primer tool.

The replacement Lee units are only $15 (excluding the shell holder set) and the RCBS was just over $50, but after two failures of the Lee units I just got frustrated with the damn things breaking when I was in the middle of a batch of re-loads.

The RCBS tool looks and feels much stronger. I have not tried it out yet, but I have a batch of .308 to re-load this week-end, so I'll give it a go then. The RCBS unit has a universal shell holder so you do not need to buy a set of shell holders.