Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Is Anyone "Stocking Up" Before The Election ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/anyone-stocking-up-before-election-72763/)

billt 09-19-2012 12:58 PM

Is Anyone "Stocking Up" Before The Election ?

Cabela's predicts a minimum 25% increase in gun sales if Romney loses. If he does this will be shades of 2008 all over again, but much worse. People will wait until the election, then if Hussein gets in again, they'll run like sheep and strip the shelves bare.

I'm always sure I have plenty on hand, but in the next few weeks we have before the election, I'm going to purchase a lot more. If Romney pulls it off, it will all get shot up in time anyway, so it's not like I'm out anything.

Also, you can bet powder, bullets, and primers will go at a record pace as well. This will also drive up prices even higher. If it happens, I don't expect them to come down to current levels, anymore than they did last time. Before 2008 I was buying CCI Blazer Brass .45 ACP, 230 Gr. FMJ for $9.97 at Wal-Mart. After the insanity of the 2008 election it went to over double. It only came back slightly after these people realized the sky wasn't falling. 9 MM was a little better. It went from $7.97 a box for FMJ, to well over double. But it returned to $9.97 a box after the scare was over. Reloading components did much the same. Especially the Haz-Mat items.

Rick1967 09-19-2012 01:16 PM

I am a serious reloader. I am still stocked up from last time. I shoot a lot. But I reload a lot to make up for it. I dont think I ever fall below 500 roounds of anything I actually shoot. I keep a lot of components in stock too. I could probably go well over a year without buying components. If I stopped reloading it would probably take me 3 or 4 years to shoot everything I have.

billt 09-19-2012 02:29 PM

I'm much the same. Plenty of everything. But I'm still going to buy more before the election, if for no other reason to capitalize on lower prices that are sure to increase if the election goes south.

1hole 09-19-2012 05:20 PM

"People will wait until the election, then if Hussein gets in again, they'll run like sheep and strip the shelves bare."

I'm sure that's true. I was sure it was a sheeple scare in '08 because the party of people control would be looking toward '12. They won't have that to be concerned about after November and, as the POTUS told Medevev, "I'll have more flexibilty after the next election" he obviously plans to take advantage of that lack of inhibition if he wins. Even if he loses he will play havoc on us with 'executive orders' the last few months he will have to do so.

purehavoc 09-19-2012 05:40 PM

I dont know that it even makes sense bill but if what Im looking for isnt in stock I buy something else in a common caliber that is , even if I dont have a gun to shoot that caliber , good trading material for later . Call me crazy
" my wife certainly does" but I cannot get enough ammo . I bought a used 24 gun safe just to keep ammo in . waiting on more .223 and 9mm to hit the shelves here locally so I can go buy up what I can afford I figure another 1000 rds of each is about right for the day :)

chuckusaret 09-19-2012 05:40 PM

I believe in maintaining a minimum number of SD and target rounds per each handgun/longgun that I own. My present stockpile of target ammo will support my training program for the next three years or so. Hopefully my SD/HD stockpile will be sufficient if the SHTF, if not, I'll shoot the bad guys with cheap old target ammo and reloads:D

I do believe we will have more to worry about than ammo if Obama is re-elected.

orangello 09-19-2012 06:36 PM

I will probably restock for the SKS and the .45ACP.

mudslinger79 09-23-2012 04:03 PM

I have been stocking my reloading supplies over the past few months. Ammo is going up here in Virginia. Only by a couple of cents but its still an increase. :mad:

I was at a gun show yesterday and reloading components were scarce. A lot of people stocking up. And whats funny, 9mm was the hardest projectile to come by!!!!! People were grabbing it up left and right. I was able to pick up some RN 115gr and some RN 95gr. A total of 400 projectiles. Small pistol primers were few and far between. Brass was here and there but not much. I did notice people buy ammo in bulk. Cases and cases were being sold. :(

cottontop 09-23-2012 08:17 PM

I'm not worried about it. Nothing will change no matter who gets elected; maybe in the very beginning, but then when the dust settles, things will go back to normal.
cottontop

okdonk 09-23-2012 08:25 PM

I been stocking 1K rounds of the PMC 223 from Cabelas. $5.99/box and $5 shipping. I'd probably get more.