Anyone running into Reload supply shortage?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Anyone running into Reload supply shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone running into Reload supply shortage?

Over where I'm at reload supplies (pwder) seems to be ok. How about you all, how's the situation from where you're from? I ran into this article from Boise, ID seems like they're running into shortage soon.
http://westernshootingjournal.com/news/low-ammunition-reload-supplies/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Certain kinds of powder are readily available here, mostly those that are primarily for handguns. What is in seriously short supply is just about any kind of bullets... The dealers' shelves have plenty of dies, powder, and primers, but brass and bullets are hard to find. I reuse my brass as many times as I can get away with it, but it doesn't last forever. I don't cast my own bullets because I don't have a place to do it, so I'm at the mercy of the commercial supply of bullets.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Primers are and will continue to be an issue. Even caps for black powder are hard to get now.
Buy all the components you want, without a source of ignition they are useless.
Coincidence???

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2968 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Supplies here are hit or miss, but showing signs of improvement.
One day in May at Sportsman's Warehouse I found powder, bullets, primers and, get this - .22 ammo all on the same visit. It was what I imagine a lottery win would feel like.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 07-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav373
Over where I'm at reload supplies (pwder) seems to be ok. How about you all, how's the situation from where you're from? I ran into this article from Boise, ID seems like they're running into shortage soon.
http://westernshootingjournal.com/news/low-ammunition-reload-supplies/
Everything in my area is hard to come by. Except for black powder.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I've got a source for everything I need to reload. I might not get the exact powder but I have bought over 30lbs. Primers are a little sketchy for brand but I've bought 20k and haven't paid more than $37.50/1,000. I live just up the road from S&S Casting and my LGS has a long history with them. Supply of lead bullets has not been a problem. Rifle bullets has been OK but I can't buy 1k at a time. 200 per visit is the current limit.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 901 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 468

The Old-Timer that runs the LGS here saw the handwriting on the wall back in Nov. The day after the election he was on the phone placing orders and buying every primer and every pound of powder he could find. I don't remember the exact number he quoted me, but it was something like 2.5 million primers. He did not mention how many pounds of powder.

I went there yesterday to pick up some H-322. Not in stock. Large rifle primers were all gone, small rifle were Rem 6 1/2 and rationed to 200. LP and SP were Win and also a 200 limit.

I asked if he would be getting anymore H-322 or any more Rem 7 1/2. He said his wholesaler/distributor is limiting customers to 100 pounds of powder and primers are also rationed.

A big issue for him is shipping. He has to get his supplies by the pallet and his rationed powder and primers won't fill the pallet, so his order sits and sits until the pallet is full.

It's bad and it's only going to get worse after the Dems take back the House in 2014.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #8

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Tuesday I was at my wits end trying to find powder. Finally went on gun brokers and found some powder I could use and paid out the @$$. Friday I went to the LGS and there was powder. Couldn't believe my eyes. Told the salesman to put one behind the counter for me because I wanted to look around some more. Came back to pay for the powder and all of it was gone except for the one I had behind the counter. My brother couldn't believe the whole shelves were completely empty.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm in South Jersey, and it's bad all across the board. Everything is in short supply or out of stock.
No powder at all, sporadic runs on large pistol primers (both standard and Magnum), small pistol, and both large and small rifle primers are non existent here. The only bullet heads I've been able to find were internet ordered from Midway, and they were 200Gr. cast LFN for .44Spl / .44 Magnum. No rifle heads of any kind.....

I have enough supplies to reload about 600 more .44 Magnums, as for .38Spl / .357 Magnum, 9mm, .45acp, and .308 Win.....well I just hope and pray things lighten up real soon or I'll have to find another hobby.....

We have no LGS, Cabela's, or Bass Pro shops anywhere near here, it's all Mom & Pop gun shops, or the internet with that $27.50 Haz-Mat fee added to every order......

Old 07-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #10

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

To bad a bunch of us close to each other could order a pallet of powder. Might take a while to get to us but we could order what we wanted and pay that 47 hazmat fee only once