Anyone ever used these from Hornady?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Anyone ever used these from Hornady?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Default Anyone ever used these from Hornady?

"HAP STEEL MATCH"

I picked up some 9mm 125gr to run through an XD9 this weekend if the rain subsides, anyone have any experience with it? yay or nay?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #2

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

They are just fine. The 9mm is a "Minor Power" round in the steel match, so they are easy to shoot all day.

As long as your Croation made gun can handle steel cased bullets instead of brass, you should have a great time.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #3

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

The XD eats everything, this should run fine.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:24 AM   #4

Are the casings coated in wax or oil or poly or something? is it a dirty ammo? I can feel some kind of slick coating or something.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #5

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus
Are the casings coated in wax or oil or poly or something? is it a dirty ammo? I can feel some kind of slick coating or something.
I know they are coated, but in what I do not know.

They are not dirty. Use a non corrosive berdan primer, but a good clean burning powder that is the same from round to round. Very consistent.

Winchester White Box is still cheaper.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
I know they are coated, but in what I do not know.

They are not dirty. Use a non corrosive berdan primer, but a good clean burning powder that is the same from round to round. Very consistent.

Winchester White Box is still cheaper.
Yea it is, people scoff at the range at white box but I've never had an issue, maybe one or two bad primers but I've had one in a box of black hills as well.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1225 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
Yea it is, people scoff at the range at white box but I've never had an issue, maybe one or two bad primers but I've had one in a box of black hills as well.
If any one scoffed at my choice of ammo brand, I would certainly tell them I take donations.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM
The XD eats everything, this should run fine.
I ended up with a box of 498 rounds of reloaded 9mm ammo for dirt cheap to put through my SIG because my buddy's XD9 wouldn't "eat" them.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #9

Liked 1623 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
I ended up with a box of 498 rounds of reloaded 9mm ammo for dirt cheap to put through my SIG because my buddy's XD9 wouldn't "eat" them.
I've run Wolf, the filthiest of the filthy, without one issue.

I'm guessing the Hornady would be a huge step up.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWMIM

I've run Wolf, the filthiest of the filthy, without one issue.

I'm guessing the Hornady would be a huge step up.
I said I used some reloaded like it was a bad thing I guess. I have nothing against reloaded ammo. I prefer at the range. It usually means I can shoot more rounds at the end of the day due to more for my money.

These things were HORRIBLE!! The mold seam on these things really worried me. And my magazine feeding load hand looked like the silver surfers. The brass was really tarnished too. We picked them up for $6 per 50 a special at our local gun shop had ran for a moment.

His XD just wouldn't cycle them. Really not sure why. But I didn't mind due to the fact that he was so frustrated with it that he threw me the rest of his lot. I still bought him lunch though, just to try to make it right.