Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Anyone ever used these from Hornady? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/anyone-ever-used-these-hornady-73425/)

Wiebelhaus 09-30-2012 05:02 AM

Anyone ever used these from Hornady?

"HAP STEEL MATCH"

I picked up some 9mm 125gr to run through an XD9 this weekend if the rain subsides, anyone have any experience with it? yay or nay?

mudpupp 09-30-2012 05:13 AM

They are just fine. The 9mm is a "Minor Power" round in the steel match, so they are easy to shoot all day.

As long as your Croation made gun can handle steel cased bullets instead of brass, you should have a great time.

TWMIM 09-30-2012 05:18 AM

The XD eats everything, this should run fine.

Wiebelhaus 09-30-2012 05:24 AM

Are the casings coated in wax or oil or poly or something? is it a dirty ammo? I can feel some kind of slick coating or something.

mudpupp 09-30-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus
Are the casings coated in wax or oil or poly or something? is it a dirty ammo? I can feel some kind of slick coating or something.

I know they are coated, but in what I do not know.

They are not dirty. Use a non corrosive berdan primer, but a good clean burning powder that is the same from round to round. Very consistent.

Winchester White Box is still cheaper.

Wiebelhaus 09-30-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpupp (Post 959222)
I know they are coated, but in what I do not know.

They are not dirty. Use a non corrosive berdan primer, but a good clean burning powder that is the same from round to round. Very consistent.

Winchester White Box is still cheaper.

Yea it is, people scoff at the range at white box but I've never had an issue, maybe one or two bad primers but I've had one in a box of black hills as well.

Gatoragn 09-30-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus (Post 959279)
Yea it is, people scoff at the range at white box but I've never had an issue, maybe one or two bad primers but I've had one in a box of black hills as well.

If any one scoffed at my choice of ammo brand, I would certainly tell them I take donations. :p

zombiehunter 09-30-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWMIM
The XD eats everything, this should run fine.

I ended up with a box of 498 rounds of reloaded 9mm ammo for dirt cheap to put through my SIG because my buddy's XD9 wouldn't "eat" them.

TWMIM 09-30-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiehunter (Post 959283)
I ended up with a box of 498 rounds of reloaded 9mm ammo for dirt cheap to put through my SIG because my buddy's XD9 wouldn't "eat" them.

I've run Wolf, the filthiest of the filthy, without one issue.

I'm guessing the Hornady would be a huge step up.

zombiehunter 10-02-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWMIM

I've run Wolf, the filthiest of the filthy, without one issue.

I'm guessing the Hornady would be a huge step up.

I said I used some reloaded like it was a bad thing I guess. I have nothing against reloaded ammo. I prefer at the range. It usually means I can shoot more rounds at the end of the day due to more for my money.

These things were HORRIBLE!! The mold seam on these things really worried me. And my magazine feeding load hand looked like the silver surfers. The brass was really tarnished too. We picked them up for $6 per 50 a special at our local gun shop had ran for a moment.

His XD just wouldn't cycle them. Really not sure why. But I didn't mind due to the fact that he was so frustrated with it that he threw me the rest of his lot. I still bought him lunch though, just to try to make it right.