Any thoughts on point weight???
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Any thoughts on point weight???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Any thoughts on point weight???

I am going to load some 7mm Rem Mag's. I have in the past shot 150gr Sierra's, and they shoot really good. These are factory Federal Premiums I should add. I am wondering if people have found that the 165-170gr do better.

I currently do most of my hunting out west, taking shots between 250-500yds shooting mostly mule deer.

I will be shooting some elk with it.

I also do some whitetail hunting in which running shots are fairly common so I do like to try to shoot as much velocity as possible as it seems to help me with these shots a little bit.

I really like how the 150gr. shoots, but I guess I have a couple curiosities. Number one, is 170gr. too big for closer shots(inside 200yds)? And as far as the longer shots, I know the heavier bullet is supposed to be better, but do you think the 150's would be alright still?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've never actually reloaded before, alwasy bought factory stuff, so I am kind of new to this whole thing.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i too reload the 7mm rem. mag. there is not really a magical weight that works best. bullet type and design are important factors to consider also. with reloading you will be able to find some loads that work better than others. buy several different types of bullets and weights and try different powder charges. make notes and do a lot of shooting. i know this may sound vague and not really answering your question, but what works in one rifle well, may be a very poor performer in yours. this the fun of reloading. plus i almost forgot, different cases, different primers, and different powders will make lots of difference in how the ammo shoots. IMO, i try for as accurate a load that i can make.

Last edited by Axxe55; 09-20-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i too reload the 7mm rem. mag. there is not really a magical weight that works best. bullet type and design are important factors to consider also. with reloading you will be able to find some loads that work better than others. buy several different types of bullets and weights and try different powder charges. make notes and do a lot of shooting. i know this may sound vague and not really answering your question, but what works in one rifle well, may be a very poor performer in yours. this the fun of reloading. plus i almost forgot, different cases, different primers, and different powders will make lots of difference in how the ammo shoots. IMO, i try for as accurate a load that i can make.
Thanks for the input. I am probably going to start with some 154gr and 162gr Hornady spire points, and some 168gr Bergers. I think they would be the best all around rounds for what I'll be hunting. Not sure about powder, probably either start with some 4350 or RL-22, I've heard that people have had good luck with these specifically in 7mm so I figure I will start with those and go from there.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Thanks for the input. I am probably going to start with some 154gr and 162gr Hornady spire points, and some 168gr Bergers. I think they would be the best all around rounds for what I'll be hunting. Not sure about powder, probably either start with some 4350 or RL-22, I've heard that people have had good luck with these specifically in 7mm so I figure I will start with those and go from there.
personally myself, i like the IMR4350 and IMR4895 powders. but thats the joy of reloading, trying new loads and finding one that works well in your rifle. happy hunting.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 PM   #5

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

If you are happy with the 150's you could stick with them. I always used 160gr partition bullets for hunting. But those 150's would shoot a little flatter and faster.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

I thought we covered this here? http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/elk-rounds-48225/

As far as powder goes, IMR 4831 has always worked great in 7mm Rem mag. It is all I use. If you absolutely insist on a standard cup and core bullet, use 175gr. A 160gr thin jacket cup and core can loose up to 40% of its' weight on game like Elk. That will translate into poor penetration. Sometimes you need to get through the shoulder. You will need a bullet that will break though the bone and hit the vitals. I want a bullet that retains 80% or better. Best of luck, just hope you don't get a runner.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If you are happy with the 150's you could stick with them. I always used 160gr partition bullets for hunting. But those 150's would shoot a little flatter and faster.
Data shows both at 3000 fps w/ a 160gr having 200fp More energy at 100 yards.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

"Data shows both at 3000 fps w/ a 160gr having 200fp More energy at 100 yards. "

to get a heavier bullet to the same velocity requires higher pressure. At equal pressures the lighter bullets will shoot faster.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
"Data shows both at 3000 fps w/ a 160gr having 200fp More energy at 100 yards. "

to get a heavier bullet to the same velocity requires higher pressure. At equal pressures the lighter bullets will shoot faster.
Wrong! W/ the same powder a 150 or 160gr have the same velosity at 100 yards. The bigger issue is that the 150gr looses energy/ faster. The 160gr were designed to do the job of a 175 in a smaller package. Other bullets came along that are 160gr, but still a basic cup and core, and give a false sense of killing power. So by your Logic, My 232gr 9.3x57 should do a better job at 300fps faster then it's 286gr partition brother, ever though they both have the same chamber pressure.
I'll confuse it for you now. A 6.5x55 140gr at 2700fps has the same potential ability as a 180gr .30-06 at the same distance and velosity. Why. Sectional density and ballistic coefficient. One equates to penetration, the other to accuracy.
Hodgdon has a difference between the 2 at less then 35fps MV w/ the chamber pressure +-5fp using IMR4831 for 7mm Rem Mag.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #10

I'm kinda hijacking this thread by taking this in a hair different direction, but I can do it because it's my thread. hahaha

I really like the 168gr Berger's. I know that in a lot of situations, not all, that they run pretty long and the one complaint is that sometimes they are too long for the magazine. I read somewhere online here that the magazine on a Sendero, the gun I will be loading these for, is big enough to hold some of these longer rounds. Anybody know any truth/falsification to this?