Any Thoughts on Federal 9mm Ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Any Thoughts on Federal 9mm Ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl2533 View Post
Price went up this morning $9.97 a box. Last month was $9.47.

Bought my 4 box limit both times. Last months ammo worked great. Will let you know if any problems with this batch.

I just buy it for the range and the brass. I reload with 115 grain Hornady XTP and Blue Dot.

Mike
I didn't know there was a limit. I got to check it out tomorrow. I was also paying $9.47 a box. I'll see if I can get more than 4 boxes.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #12

Default Limits

Yeah, all 4 of the local (Within 20 miles) have a 4 box limit, per purchaser per day. Usually by the time I get back the next day, they're sold out.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #13

Doug, I sent you a PM.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 PM   #14

I buy it and then dump the FMJ's out and stick a shiny new 124 grain Hornady XTP in it's place. That way, I'm shooting premium ammo for a little less than premium cost. And yes, I have made adjustments to the powder from past experience so that I don't get any pressure spikes. I also use a little different OAL, so that the end of the projectile is the right distance to the lands, and I don't have any feeding issues.

Been doing it for years, and I'm happy with the process overall. I do sometimes shoot the FMJ's for range practice and drills, but then I use the spent brass for 124 grain Hornady XTP reloads. I really have been impressed with the 124 grain Hornady XTP's. They work well in the 17, the 19, and my Kel-Tec P-11. I tried the 115's and the 147's, but I want a speed and penetration combination that I find in the 124's that works best for the pistols that I use them in. With the shorter barrels on the P-11 and the 19, I want the 124. I think of it this way. Do I want to hit my target with a ping pong ball going really fast, a baseball moving a little slower, or a bowling ball going slow? I think the baseball works best for me at pistol ranges in a must-work scenario.

Myself and 2 friends did some experiments using different premium projectiles and some dead hogs. Some of these hogs were very large, and a few were more of a medium size. Weights ranged from 120 lbs up to 310 lbs. We even saved a few hams and froze them to shoot. The hogs had to be put down because they had a communicable affliction that I can't spell (or even remember).

The XTP's penetrated superbly, mushroomed quickly, and retained their weight very well. The frozen hams, a couple being from the larger hogs, were where I was impressed the most. I thought that the meat being frozen hard would have more of a negative effect on the hollow point opening as intended. Upon examining the wound channels, there was very little difference in penetration depth before the tips opened up. They opened a little sooner, but I was of the opinion that the tips could clog and not open at all.

Be forewarned. Anytime you are handling any type of dead hog, wear rubber gloves. If you have a cut or open sore, brucellosis (also called undulant fever, Malta fever, Mediterranean fever, Rock fever, and Bang fever), can give you an infection you really don't want. I have had Lyme's disease for nearly 20 years. I have learned to be very careful.

I have stocked up on many boxes of these 124 grain Hornady XTP's. They are accurate in my 9mms too. What's not to like? I just hope they keep on making them.

Frank

Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #15

Default Back From Wally World

Just back from my local Walmart. No limit on 9mm Federal ammo. I bought the last 5 boxes and the price is still $9.47 each. Limits are up to the individual store managers per the salesman I spoke to.

Last edited by metweezer; 06-05-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #16

Yeah, they all do that "Local market pricing" here. Basically, they undercut the local gunshops by just enough to poach the customers. But then, around here, Wally World is usually HALF what the gunshops charge for a box of ammo.

I buy my reloading supplies at the local gunshops if possible, then through one of the online stores. Shops that don't sell anything don't stay in business long. Talk to the guys at your local shop. Usually they can get what you need at a reasonable price.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 263 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 36

The Fed Champ ammo has run great is all calibers for me. A little dirty, but so what? I swing by Wally World once a week or so, and 9mm is always in stock. Often fill my 6-box allotment with (3) Federal Champion 9mm @$9.47 and (3) RWS 124gr 9mm @12.97.

These are the two best 9mm deals out there, IMO. The Swiss RWS stuff is just flat-out first rate FMJ. I'd recommend it highly to anyone who hasn't tried it yet. Pretty much just a really clean burning NATO round at a bargain price. Ideal break-in round for a new gun, IMO.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by metweezer View Post
Just back from my local Walmart. No limit on 9mm Federal ammo. I bought the last 5 boxes and the price is still $9.47 each. Limits are up to the individual store managers per the salesman I spoke to.
Agreed. I do most of my buying at the only local gun shop left in my area. I very rarely go into a Wal-Mart for anything. Once in a while I buy online, especially surplus bulk ammo.

I should have been more clear about that. I also use the RWS ammo and find it to be very clean and reliable, but I also replace the FMJ with premium projectiles.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl2533 View Post
Yeah, they all do that "Local market pricing" here. Basically, they undercut the local gunshops by just enough to poach the customers. But then, around here, Wally World is usually HALF what the gunshops charge for a box of ammo.

I buy my reloading supplies at the local gunshops if possible, then through one of the online stores. Shops that don't sell anything don't stay in business long. Talk to the guys at your local shop. Usually they can get what you need at a reasonable price.
I meant to quote this poster in the above reply...sorry.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #20

I've shot Federal for about 20+ years and it's always been superb. Everything from FMJ to HST ammo- it's great.