Annealing brass - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Annealing brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2014, 05:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I don't know where you are getting your brass. The brass has not been finished annealed for many years. It became a cost cutting issue long ago. It is your time but turning brass in a drill would actually accomplish nothing. Annealing brass every other loading would be deter-mental to the alloys. You are going to shorten the life of the brass. Brass life is shortened more by over working and over heating than shooting. I suspect from some of these post that many are low volume re-loaders.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 AM   #22

Annealing allows the neck and shoulder to seal the chamber and reduce back flow around the case. A work hardened or over heated brass will crack or provide a weak seal. Proper alignment to bore is corrected by neck turning. New brass should be annealed full length sized trimmed to correct length deburred and flash holes and pocket depths gauged. All brass separated by weight. Rotate on a case gauge.
Or my favorite way. Just load them quickly with out all that work and go shoot some thing.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3458 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I don't know where you are getting your brass. The brass has not been finished annealed for many years. It became a cost cutting issue long ago. It is your time but turning brass in a drill would actually accomplish nothing. Annealing brass every other loading would be deter-mental to the alloys. You are going to shorten the life of the brass. Brass life is shortened more by over working and over heating than shooting. I suspect from some of these post that many are low volume re-loaders.
Who told you they do not finish anneal brass anymore? Annealing every other loading has ABSOLUTELY ZERO detrimental effects. You need to stop spewing the urban myths you picked up at the octogenerain shooting club.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 02-20-2014 at 04:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 10:13 AM   #24

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
This looks like a pretty nice piece of equipment – I cannot tell in the video, but is it also spinning the case? Otherwise I would think it would heat one side more than the other.
That is the reason for 2 torches. There is one out that has a smaller plate underneath that rotates the cases. I have never had a problem with mine heating one side more than the other.

I forget what message board it is on but a guy has the layout for the saw tooth looking plate and he will make them and ship them for $45 or $50.

Also if you wanted a cheaper route there is this nifty little set here. http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_006.htm

When I started out playing with it I got this set and it works. It is a little harder than the plate but with a little red neck engineerin you have make a decent annealer. A old cordless drill works great.

He also makes the best loading blocks albeit they are spendy but, they are the BEST I have found. http://www.customreloadingtools.com/crt_007.htm

Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #25

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
http://www.starlinebrass.com/about-us/quality-process.cfm

Quote:
Our quality process begins with premium brass comprised of 70 percent copper and 30 percent zinc. Unlike some competitors, Starline's brass is vertically drawn, which holds wall thickness variation to a minimum. We also anneal our cases between each draw to ensure consistent metallurgy in all lots.
http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Components/Cases/

Quote:
The case neck is annealed to become softer. This prevents gas leaks and enables the case to hold the bullet firmly for at least 10 years without cracking as a result of aging material.
http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/cases

Quote:
Strict tolerances in concentrity and wall thickness are used in manufacturing. The neck and shoulder are annealed to withstand repeated reloading.
Others also anneal their brass. I know for a fact that Winchester does because I have some of their brass that was left unpolished (5.56), and you can clearly see the annealing. Remington also anneals their brass.

Once again, you don't have a clue what your talking about.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #26
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 1702

[QUOTE=texaswoodworker;1510990]http://www.starlinebrass.com/about-us/quality-process.cfm

http://www.norma.cc/en/Products/Components/Cases/

"The case neck is annealed to become softer."

it appears annealing makes the brass softer, not harder...
gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #27

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
it appears annealing makes the brass softer, not harder...
That is correct. When brass casings are fired, they expand. When you resize them, you cause them to contract. This back and forth working of the brass can cause it to become hard and brittle. Annealing makes it softer and prevents it from splitting.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 762 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 1702

well - very good, I have learned a lot about this annealing
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #29

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

You and me both. This site is amazing, you ask a simple question and recieve complex detailed answers. some are on the do column and some under the don't column. Take everything with a grain of salt, sift the information and come to a understanable, doable result.
JonM Likes This 
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #30

Accusing me of using drugs and being elderly is simply not necessary. This was a personal attack not called for. Is it no longer acceptable to have a divergent idea on this forum?

We have done brass hardness on the Vickers testing unit. Using the Vickers Brass hardness test chart. I offered an opinion on perfecting your brass.

Last edited by nitestalker; 02-20-2014 at 04:59 PM.