Annealing brass - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Annealing brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2090 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 6230

If I don't anneal, I end up throwing away a lot of my reloads on LC brass (military Lake City).
Reloads look fine, but the fired reload has a split neck. Unknown brass is usually the culprit

I still want to come up with an easier, faster, better way of annealing.

I may spend months trying to think of a way to save a few minutes.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:42 PM   #12

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Just get one of these. Sure it's $495 but it is the best way to do it. If you want you can have them drop into a bucket of water or just drop them into a 9x13 or some form of metal can like a coffee can.

http://www.annealingmachines.com/model-400.html

Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1024 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Folks. There are a $hitload of videos on youtube.
Just search: annealing brass cases.
Along with the informative posts so far, you'll be all set.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #14
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 1706

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
Just get one of these. Sure it's $495 but it is the best way to do it. If you want you can have them drop into a bucket of water or just drop them into a 9x13 or some form of metal can like a coffee can.

This looks like a pretty nice piece of equipment I cannot tell in the video, but is it also spinning the case? Otherwise I would think it would heat one side more than the other.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #15

Liked 58 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I only anneal oddbrass. Try finding 22-454 brass.....it needs to last as long as I can make it
I purchased a Ken Light machine, it sure helps in consistency. For me money well spent

Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 384

Quote:

Thanks for the link. there is a another model for a 100.00 less and a very descriptive article on annealing at 6mmBr,com. Thank you to everyone whom have contributed to another learning experience.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
If I don't anneal, I end up throwing away a lot of my reloads on LC brass (military Lake City).
Reloads look fine, but the fired reload has a split neck. Unknown brass is usually the culprit

I still want to come up with an easier, faster, better way of annealing.

I may spend months trying to think of a way to save a few minutes.
How many firings do you get on the LC brass before they split or you discard. Are they once fired when you buy or new? check out the 6mmBr.com site. It gives you other manual techniques( if cost of auto annealing machine is cost prohibitive) along with other dos and don'ts. good luck and let me know if something you try works.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:32 AM   #18

Liked 1317 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
How many (approximate) firings per shell before annealing? I have read about several different ways to do this and some say they are right and some say they are wrong. I would rather toss the brass than do it wrong. So what is the right way.
Unless you don't heat up the necks of the case enough,or anneal too far past the neck-below the shoulder,there is hardly any chance of doing it wrong.
If you heat the case below the shoulder,you can have it separate when fired,and then you really have a problem with part of a case stuck in your chamber.

I anneal my cases after every other firing. I use a shell holder or deep socket on a cordless drill,and a 1 lb propane torch set-up on my workbench. Rotate the case in the flame until it turns red,and drop the case into a metal ammo can to cool off. I anneal the cases before I resize or trim them.
Dunking them in water does nothing for the brass other than helps cool it off,and it just adds another step to your reloading chores-drying the brass off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
When loading virgin brass always anneal before charging.
Why? Virgin brass (Bottle necked brass) was annealed at the factory after it was formed. Doing that to virgin brass is a big waste of time,IMO.

Quote:

One day,I will buy this Annealing machine. IMO,It's the best one made,and you don't have to set there and continually load brass into it by hand.
Just load all of your brass of the caliber you need to anneal into the rack,fire up the torch,and turn it on.

http://www.giraudtool.com/annealer1.htm
North American Hunting Club
People Like This 
Old 02-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #19

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2090 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 6230

Quote:
How many firings do you get on the LC brass before they split or you discard. Are they once fired when you buy or new? check out the 6mmBr.com site. It gives you other manual techniques( if cost of auto annealing machine is cost prohibitive) along with other dos and don'ts. good luck and let me know if something you try works.
Much of the LC brass was found in the field. It looked good after a walnut shell vibrator cycle.

I went ahead and loaded it as found after the cleaning. Unknown history on most if not all of them. Some of them may have been twice loaded by me.

The summer before last, I took my ammo box of almost 2000 reloads on camping trips and introduced people to shooting. I went through a lot.
I might be running 5% or more on split necks.

I'll have to anneal them before I reload them again. I usually use 55gr and a starting load (or near it) for my reloads, so I am not too worried about a neck failure. Shouldn't be too hard on the chamber of the AR15.

I did like the pics of the annealer linked above. I doubt I would spring that kinda' money tho' My bread pan and water method has worked, but I still have problems keeping the cases from falling over too early too easily.

I need to do something soon. I have about 2000 cases cleaned and deprimed. .

Quote:
Thanks for the link. there is a another model for a 100.00 less and a very descriptive article on annealing at 6mmBr,com. Thank you to everyone whom have contributed to another learning experience.
I'm not sure I found the link. ? I am interested in looking it up.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 AM   #20

I do not know how to paste cut or provide automatic links. but if you type 6mmBr.com top technical features that should get you headed in the right direction, once on site scroll down til you see the annealing article good luck thanks for your report on your brass.
KG7IL Likes This