ammunition sources - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

ammunition sources

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barchetta365 View Post
...Most of the issues I've experienced would likely be solved if the business simply attempted to shop on their own site.
I've been to a few of those, makes you wonder what they were smoking when they built the site.

About the only ammo I buy now is rimfire, since I started reloading there's not much sense in buying centerfire. Although Cabela's had their Fiocchi 9mm Makarov on sale at the same time I bought my CZ82 and it got me shooting while I waited for Lee to get my Factory Crimp Die sent through their Custom Services. So I was able to shoot the 82 when I bought it and I had some brass ready to reload when the die arrived.

Some of the places I shop for ammo and reloading components:

Natchez Shooter's Supplies
Able Ammo
LTD Ammo
Trophys Hunting Gear - Recently ordered some Hornady XTP bullets for my Makarov.

Heard a lot of positive things about Gander Mountain, but I haven't purchase through them yet. Of course Cabela's, Midway USA and Cheaper Than Dirt have been great over the years. There are others, I just can't remember them all at the moment.

Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #12

I'm a huge Cabela's fan. I typically shop in the "Bargain Cave", their clearance area. I even visited a retail store in CT last year. Quite an experience. Lately I've been seriously looking at reloading. From what I've read on the Web, Dillon makes a good unit. Cabela's carries a Hornady unit that looks impressive and has gotten good reviews. Any recommendation on equipment? Would you suggest starting with a basic unit and adding on or just commit to an investment up front? I don't shoot that often, but I'm concerned over possible ammo restrictions in the future.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:57 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been dealing with Cabela's for more than 10 years and they've always been excellent. Scopes, ammo, reloading supplies, this list goes on, I even bought two Garmin GPS units from them a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the closest retail store is about 500 miles from me so I have to get everything for them online.

I've only been loading a little over three years now, but I started with, and still use an exclusive Lee Classic Turret Press Kit bought through Cabela's, most of my dies and a lot of other equipment are also from Lee. I have nearly 3000 rounds loaded with the turret press, mostly handgun but some 30-30 and 270 also. It's been a great set-up so far and I saved a little buying the kit from Cabela's. The only complaint I had was with Lee's powder scale, mine was never consistent so I bought the RCBS 5-0-5 scale. I believe my Lee was just a defect, because others have been using the Lee scale without a problem.

The presses and kits from Hornady, Dillon, RCBS, etc. are great presses, but I had a budget I was working from and was looking for a progressive or auto-index turret style press due to the volume of rounds I shoot. The Lee kit just seemed tailor made to what I was looking for.

Most of the kits include items you'll need to buy anyway, so if you can save a little on the cost there's no reason not to buy a kit. If you're looking at single stage presses it's really hard to find a bad one, Lee, Hornady, RCBS, Lyman, they all sell fine presses and looking at the kits from Cabela's and over at Dillon, I can't really see one that stands out over the rest.

The only thing some have that I don't trust are the digital scales, I've had three different digital scales and they've all been off when the loads are compared to the RCBS 5-0-5. I prefer the balance beam scales and doubt I'll ever buy another digital.

I do recommend buying Lee die sets especially if you're just starting out. Nearly all their die sets, except the RGB series, include a shell holder for that cartridge. Most kits don't include any shell holders, not really a large expense if you only load a few different rounds, but for the price of the Lee dies you get a great set of dies and the shell holder for less than just the dies from other brands. There's also load data and a Lee dipper with each set specifically for that cartridge, but I just use the Pro Auto Disk (pistol) or the Perfect Powder Measure (rifle) instead of the dippers.

If you decide to reload and choose a kit there's enough people here to help with anything you might need to complete the kit and get you started.