the ammunition shortage shame thread! - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > the ammunition shortage shame thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

The Ammo is starting to reappear on shelves.. I saw a pretty good stock of 223 @ sportsman whearhouse .. But the prices have yet to tumble.. I like others just window shopped . It's like the gas thing, they wait for people to be comfortable with these high prices .. So 12.95 for twenty rounds is not such a bad deal right ? I walked on by.. Along with a few old timers .. I was on a quest for the elusive primers .. Better chance of going to dinner with a yeti

Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #102
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

man, these guys are PUNKS! but they can put whatever price they want on it....I ain't buying...not sure if i'd take ammo for free from these losers.

they need to wake up...the crisis is nearing an end around here.....like you....I pick up fed auto match for $19...got 5 boxes in the last week so i'm all good for the rest of the year & beyond!

I keep picking what I can up to re sell to fellow shooters AT THE SAME PRICE. many of my friends find the shelves empty on the weekends. you have to hit it week days around here.
I'm surprised anyone is still getting that deal from Natchez as it's not even listed anymore. Last I saw they were limiting to 1 box a day per customer now, so glad I got Two when I did. My Range Shop had 100 rd. packs of CCI Mini Mag(both RN & HP) for $13.99, and The Winchester Super X Hp's and Xpert RN's for $11.99 & $12.99 respectively..so we grabbed a few of each....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-17-2013, 10:03 PM   #103
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Went to a Wal-Mart the other day. I saw about 10-15 bulk packs of Federal 12ga.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Went to a Wal-Mart the other day. I saw about 10-15 bulk packs of Federal 12ga.
lack of shotgun Ammo was never the issue at my Wally or at the next nearest one to us. Even tho when I bought the Catamount I got 250 Rds of 00 Buck for $99.,..I still "went" into Wally and got the slug rounds anyway...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-17-2013, 10:22 PM   #105
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
lack of shotgun Ammo was never the issue at my Wally or at the next nearest one to us. Even tho when I bought the Catamount I got 250 Rds of 00 Buck for $99.,..I still "went" into Wally and got the slug rounds anyway...
The Wal-Marts around here have had 12ga during the entire panic. Of course, it was all expensive game loads and some buckshot and slugs. None of them have had the cheap Federal or Winchester bulk packs.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

wal mart never raised prices much....I always suspected it was the employees working stock room deals.....can't blame the evil corporations for EVERYTHING.....

it never bothered me much if a LGS or business upped prices A BIT during the hard times...but when places were pushing prices up 50-200%+....well, they are really taking advantage.....I still think its worse perhaps that people were ACTUALLY PAYING THOSE PRICES!

at some point you must admit....ammo hoarders and panicked gun owners bear a good % of blame as well.
I thought about it a bit and will add this brief lesson on capitalism to the discussion: The LGS needs to clear a certain amount each month to keep the doors open. The rent doesn't go down, and the utilities still have to be paid.

If they are limited by the shortages in how much ammo, and weapons they can get to sell, they have to increase the margin on what they do get to make the minimum nut to keep the doors open.

The shops that sell other things like fishing and camping gear have some cushion. The shop that just sell guns, ammo, and maybe shooting gear doesn't have that cushion. If they can only get 20%, of the stock they used to, they may have had to bump the margin by four or five times just to break even and keep the doors open.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture

I thought about it a bit and will add this brief lesson on capitalism to the discussion: The LGS needs to clear a certain amount each month to keep the doors open. The rent doesn't go down, and the utilities still have to be paid.

If they are limited by the shortages in how much ammo, and weapons they can get to sell, they have to increase the margin on what they do get to make the minimum nut to keep the doors open.

The shops that sell other things like fishing and camping gear have some cushion. The shop that just sell guns, ammo, and maybe shooting gear doesn't have that cushion. If they can only get 20%, of the stock they used to, they may have had to bump the margin by four or five times just to break even and keep the doors open.
Agreed, and this Would be true in the case I discuss, except the store is never out of stock on new or used Guns. Ammo is in stock but is clearly marked up from even the highest "Normal" price there is. You expect costs to rise. Now that it's settled a bit it's about 40-50% over what it was last spring.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Plenty of ammo at Wally World in my neck of the woods, even had about 20 packs of Win 100 count 40gr 22lr's sitting on the shelf this afternoon. $7.60 a box

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon
Plenty of ammo at Wally World in my neck of the woods, even had about 20 packs of Win 100 count 40gr 22lr's sitting on the shelf this afternoon. $7.60 a box
I am in awe of your ability to score a deal from the evil blue machine.....;-)

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #110
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post

Using retail logic on the masses is not going to work. They would rather hold a grudge for a lifetime over nothing.

Why rely on capitalism when food stamps now look like a gold card, and you have a free omamaphone?