Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > the ammunition shortage shame thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM   #91
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2698 Times on 1852 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis

We are newer owners and within the past 2 years have gone from a hand-me-down H&K single shot shotgun (it's really AWESOME truth be told!) to multiple handguns and rifles. Pump shotgun is next on the list. We had a wake up call, saw the writing on the wall and made becoming firearms owners a priority. It's pretty amazing what you can do when you really put your mind to it.

We too buy a few boxes of ammo each paycheck as we find it. I will pass on over priced stuff and patiently do my homework, spend a Saturday on an ammo run with my hubby and we have a great time together doing it. We have a new car that gets 40 mpg, so if we spend half a day cruising around Phoenix, visiting old friends and new LGS, Wal-marts (sorry can't beat the prices around here), and other shops like farm supply stores that sell ammo then so be it. Sometimes we enjoy a new lunch spot, spend quality time with my best friend my husband, so you can't really beat that! It is surprising when you add a little here and there and you sit down to count and you are pleasantly surprised to find your stash has grown!

It makes me shake my head at people I know ask if we would like to go shooting and then ask if we can sell them some ammo. Heck on of my co-worker's husbands is LEO, Master level shooter and firearms instructor of local large law enforcement and other than what is loaded in his service weapon they have no ammo in their house. I am like WTF! when they ask us to sell them ammo. I did sell them ammo a couple of times and since then, I let them know all the good spots that we find ammo and tell them to start looking early in the morning.

People really should make getting plenty on hand as you can a priority, because when it counts and you need it, it goes fast, you can't replenish it easily and all you have without ammo is a fancy club.

QG
We did the same thing while we were out to Dinner for my B-day a few weeks back. We were "a Bit Low" for my Standards a few weeks back,..around the end of June. Suddenly My Range Shop & my Pawn shop have Ammo again at decent prices,..and the other Walmart an hr. away has Almost every Centerfire Handgun round you want(well,..Major ones..No. 25, 32, 380...)
I won't "Sell" to friends either. Gave one of the "Young Vets" I'm mentoring 500 Rds. of 45 a few weeks back..
At the "Worst" of the shortage I Gave another friend 3 50 rd. 22LR boxes and a box of 38 Golden Sabers....

I have plenty of 9mm now,..well over 1600 Rds. combined ball & SD/HD., about 1400 38/357/38+P....and finally back over 2500 rds. of 22LR, with about 1100 of that being "Shootable"....now two more small bricks coming tomorrow plus some more SD Ammo for both of us...even found 200 rds. of 41 Mag at a good price,..$18 a box! Now I have plenty to shoot and share if we ever get the "FTF Arizona Meet up & Shoot off" going!!...
QG: skip the Pump Shotgun! Go Strait to a Semi-Auto! You'll be glad you did! Also next time your driving around, I don't know any good GS's near Black Canyon/Rock Springs, but head over to the Rock Springs Cafe, have a nice Meal, and have them Hold me a "No Sugar Added" Apple pie for me!!! That's one of our fave spots on the way back from PHX...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 08-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #92

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

yeah....wally mart does have shotgun ammo, i forgot that. i still don't understand why shotgun ammo was never really affected by the panic? other than shotgun & maybe a couple boxes of 243 & 03-06...our wal mart has been clean shelved for this entire year...literally empty!

i suspect a scam at our wal marts as well. it would just be too easy these days to text friends or 'business partners" the second ammo arrives. could be a good supplemental income for for the people making $8 an hour there. its the only explanation i can conceive for why everyone else has had ammo fairly steady for the last 3 months & wal mart has virtually nothing.
I suspect you are right, because all the Walmart stores in the Reno, NV area are that way too! Completely empty shelves except for 243 and some .410 shells. And we have 6 Walmart stores in the area, whereas Scheels, Cabelas, and the local gun shops all are looking fully stocked again.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #93

Then EVERYONE should Call Walmart & Complain!!! not that they care but if enough folks make a STINK about it,...some Store GM somewhere might get caught hoarding.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 08-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #94
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I'm glad I don't have to worry about whether there is/isn't ammo on the store shelves. The only thing that I don't load is 22lr and 22wmr,but I have had enough stocked up for many years.
I have cut back on my shooting,but mainly because I have been working on some projects on my days off.

I refuse to pay any of these high prices for reloading supplies=bullets/powders/primers,and any of my local supplier's that are trying to take advantage of the customers have forever lost my business. I will gladly pay hazmat shipping fees before I spend one dime with these local price gouger's.
I keep enough supplies on hand to go several years without needing to buy anything.

Don't give in to these guy's trying to capitalize on the situation,just cut back on your shooting and wait til things get back to normal.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 886 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 70

And I thought the $85/brick of 500 rounds at my LGS was price gouging! This comes out to $.40/round for .22's! I just got a 325 box of Federal Auto Match for $18.99 from Natchez. CTD must really hate their customers..... Those they have left anyway.

image-2517022081.jpg

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 08-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #96

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cheaper than dirt was and is the #1 internet price gouger on the internet...I and many of my friends have vowed never to buy from them again

Old 08-11-2013, 02:37 AM   #97

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by howellgunworks View Post
Cheaper than dirt was and is the #1 internet price gouger on the internet...I and many of my friends have vowed never to buy from them again
They are #1 on my $h*tlist... followed by Walmart !!

Old 08-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760

#1 Walmart
#2 CTD
#3 LGS here who Gouges EVERYTHING and Everyone...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #99

Liked 2306 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
wal mart never raised prices much....I always suspected it was the employees working stock room deals.....can't blame the evil corporations for EVERYTHING.....

it never bothered me much if a LGS or business upped prices A BIT during the hard times...but when places were pushing prices up 50-200%+....well, they are really taking advantage.....I still think its worse perhaps that people were ACTUALLY PAYING THOSE PRICES!

at some point you must admit....ammo hoarders and panicked gun owners bear a good % of blame as well.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #100

Liked 2306 Times on 1351 Posts
Likes Given: 1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGunner View Post
And I thought the $85/brick of 500 rounds at my LGS was price gouging! This comes out to $.40/round for .22's! I just got a 325 box of Federal Auto Match for $18.99 from Natchez. CTD must really hate their customers..... Those they have left anyway.

Attachment 113324
man, these guys are PUNKS! but they can put whatever price they want on it....I ain't buying...not sure if i'd take ammo for free from these losers.

they need to wake up...the crisis is nearing an end around here.....like you....I pick up fed auto match for $19...got 5 boxes in the last week so i'm all good for the rest of the year & beyond!

I keep picking what I can up to re sell to fellow shooters AT THE SAME PRICE. many of my friends find the shelves empty on the weekends. you have to hit it week days around here.