the ammunition shortage shame thread!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > the ammunition shortage shame thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1878

Default the ammunition shortage shame thread!

the ammunition shame thread!

i imagine the most shamed will run from this thread like the plague!

but....did you make any ammo purchased that would make you blush now, during the peak of this ammo panic?

i'll start....i made both my shameful purchases on the same day....223 and 22 were NO WHERE to be found, and i came across the first i had laid eyes on in almost 2 months at a LGS.

i paid $40 for a 50 round box of UMC 223. and i paid $12 for a 50 round box of ely 22.

i walked out and immediately felt like a tool. i vowed not to pay over 20% mark up of what pre panic prices from that point on. a vow that kept me non shooting for about 4 months as i collected 20 round boxes of 223 at a reasonable price one at a time. as for 22, well...six months later i'm finding it here & there.

about a week after my shameful purchase, i saw bulk packs of federal 22 selling for $90....walked away. sad part, they were selling like hotcakes for that!

man up! tell your story of shame....IF you dare! lmao!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I hate, hate, hate having a firearm and no ammo for it, so every time I found a good deal on a firearm, usually from someone having to sell due to the poor economy, I also had to get two boxes of ammo in whatever caliber it was. That alone killed the great deal I made on one of the gun purchases! I didn't need to buy .22 or .223, but I HAD to purchase 6.8 SPC, .357 mag and .22-250 at stupid prices I have mercifully forgot exactly how much they were.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Hey Hawk...

Heh heh!

I buy my ammo like I buy my food, in bulk...

When I do buy it, it's usually just to replace my stock after a few range trips but with the nuttiness that's gone on the past several months, I haven't bought, or had to buy jack squat...

I came into possession of a family owned Model 70 and I bought just a few boxes of 30.06 to try it out. That's really about all...

nelson-muntz-ha-ha-532x329.jpg  

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
hawkguy Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I hate, hate, hate having a firearm and no ammo for it, so every time I found a good deal on a firearm, usually from someone having to sell due to the poor economy, I also had to get two boxes of ammo in whatever caliber it was. That alone killed the great deal I made on one of the gun purchases! I didn't need to buy .22 or .223, but I HAD to purchase 6.8 SPC, .357 mag and .22-250 at stupid prices I have mercifully forgot exactly how much they were.
yeah....well...that is kinda coming clean about it greg!

come on! what mark up did you eat? more than 50%?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Hey Hawk...

Heh heh!

I buy my ammo like I buy my food, in bulk...

When I do buy it, it's usually just to replace my stock after a few range trips but with the nuttiness that's gone on the past several months, I haven't bought, or had to buy jack squat...

I came into possession of a family owned Model 70 and I bought just a few boxes of 30.06 to try it out. That's really about all...
ha! i knew this would drag some "i hoarded a million rounds before the panic" posters out of the closet! lmao! j/k

i know, i know. many of you had learned from past experiences. being relatively new to the habit, i got caught with my pants down for sure.

good for you vincent, and i hate you!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Hey Hawk...I buy my ammo like I buy my food, in bulk...
i think maybe i came across a pic of you, vincent!
prep0213_image.jpg  
Old 08-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #7

Hawk, if you find yourself in NC, you're more than welcome to stop by and help me deplete my supply!

I have no problem sharing!

309129_332918620131916_1497619206_n.jpg  

People Like This 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i think maybe i came across a pic of you, vincent!
Pfft...I wish I was that good lookin'...

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
yeah....well...that is kinda coming clean about it greg!

come on! what mark up did you eat? more than 50%?
50%??? I would've KILLED for ammo ONLY marked up 50%! We're touching more in the 100% area. Luckily, my stupidity was assuaged by only a couple of boxes of each! No case or half-case purchases. Luckily, ammo prices started dropping, as sweating and the shakes were setting in. .

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 08-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
ha! i knew this would drag some "i hoarded a million rounds before the panic" posters out of the closet! lmao
Here's a question for you, I haven't purchased a single center fire round of ammo in over 6 years (22 LR & shot shells yes). I reload everything else myself, more than I use so I ended up with over 20,000 unfired rounds over 8 years. (load 100 shot 50, load 100 shot 50)

Does that make me a HOARDER??? Or are you just a big mouth?? IMHP ( And yes I took offense to your comments, do not expect a LIKE from me) And for Pete's sake keep your pants up. (LOL)

Jim