Ammunition Question:The Innocent Bystander
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammunition Question:The Innocent Bystander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammunition Question:The Innocent Bystander

I really don't know much about ammunition and I'm looking for advice on what bullets to buy that doesn't over penetrates but still stops someone in their tracks. My fear at the moment is a bullet going through someones body and hitting an innocent bystander.

"Extreme Shock" ammunition seems like a good choice for defense, but I'm too sure about that manufacturer.

I will be buying a .38 Special revolver if that helps, would appreciate any advice on the subject.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Overpenetration and .38 have never been used in the same sentence before

You should use Hornady Critical Defense or Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel.

Both perform well.

The 38 travels much slower, and with less energy than even a 9mm.

Not saying pass through shots are impossible. You hit them in the hand, arm, fatty tissue: there is always that chance.

No center mass shots will though.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

My wife uses 158gr RNL in her .38sp snubnose.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

There is a delicate balancing act between the need for sufficient penetration and the need to eliminate dangerous overpenetration. The bullet must penetrate deeply enough to reach vital organs. It must get through muscle, bone, fat, clothing, etc. The FBI protocol calls for 12-18" of penetration. While very few people are 18" thick from sternum to spine, many are that thick from arm to opposite ribs.

Your bullet should be able to go through a thick, muscular bicep, a thick, tough humerus, the lat muscle, a rib, a lung and a heart (muscle) at the least. Better to add to that another lung, another rib, another lat muscle and at least half of an upper arm.

If you are using a bullet that is capable of that, it probably will pass through a body if the hit is just below the Xyphoid process and exit is between two ribs. You should not incur any excessive liability from a round passing through an individual so long as the shot was necessary and you otherwise exercised due caution. Sh!t happens. You cannot be expected to prepare for EVERY possible outcome, just a resonable one.

WTS, Speer Gold Dot 125 gr +P all the way.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #5

Thanks Robocop, Jpattersonnh and Willfully Armed.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODHOOD View Post
Thanks Robocop, Jpattersonnh and Willfully Armed.
Word. Your welcome.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5654 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODHOOD View Post
I will be buying a .38 Special revolver if that helps, would appreciate any advice on the subject.
buy a .357 magnum pistol. you can safely shoot .38 special from a 357. you may decide you want more gun later. a .357 magnum is like 2 guns in one. 38special is pretty anemic sorta like a 9mm on steroids

anyway a .357 will give you far more ammo choices and room to experiment with different loadings especially once you get some trigger time on the .38 special loads you may decide you want more boom and you already got it.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #8

.38 Special Snubnose Ballistics

hope this helps

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #9

Have you looked into MagSafe and/or Glasers? MagSafe was the number one performer in the Strausberg (sic) tests. In all of my small caliber back up guns, all I load/carry is the MagSafe.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAMUSPI View Post
Have you looked into MagSafe and/or Glasers? MagSafe was the number one performer in the Strausberg (sic) tests. In all of my small caliber back up guns, all I load/carry is the MagSafe.
I have checked out the MagSafe website and I like what I've seen and read. So far I've decided to use Hornady and Speer Gold ammunition but it looks like MagSafe will be my number one choice for everyday concealed carry ammunition.