Ammo Type - double feed issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ammo Type - double feed issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ammo Type - double feed issue

I bought a slightly used Sig Sauer P250 and ran about 200-250 Winchester and Remington 9mm FMJ target ammo through it. The kind that cost about $14 a box. I had three double feeds. I am fairly sure that I wasn't limp-wristed. I cleaned the gun thoroughly (perhaps I cleaned and oiled it insufficiently the first time out). I was thinking about two questions: 1) should I just switch ammo to the very type that I would have in it during a defense situation (hollow point Cor Bons or something) and pay the $20-25 a box following the assumption that perhaps my gun is ammo sensitive to the type that was in it during the double feeds and that before I take it to a smith I should just see how it shoots the good stuff. One little variable: I was using three magazines during a class, and I didn't notice which mag/s were in during the double feed. I also had some dummy rounds mixed in. Clearly I should note which mag is responsible if only one is present during another double feed. Could it be the gun - the P250? Should I just bite the bullet so to speak and take it to a smith to do some kind of reliability work on it? I would probably just shoot another 200 of hollow points, but that's $200 right there, and a smith might be $75. Final note: this is a compact frame - 15 round mags come standard. I bought a 17 round mag for the full sized frame of the P-250... could the spring be too aggressive or something?
Clearly I can't have an unreliable weapon for defense purposes, so any insight ya'll have would be welcome.

Last edited by JoinOrDieSaidBenFranklin; 09-28-2011 at 04:55 AM. Reason: forgot somethin

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2951 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 263

There is no such thing as a "double feed". It is actually a failure to extract that causes the next round to try to load when a fired case still remains in the chamber. As such the primary cause is a faulty extractor/extractor spring. The next leading cause is a rough or dirty chamber.

If the previous owner shot a fair amount of steel case, laquered case ammo, you may have residual laquer in the chamber. Clean thoroughly.

If the problem persists, it is fair to presume it is the extractor/extractor spring. Return to Sig for repair.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 213 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
There is no such thing as a "double feed".
Actually, there is such a thing as a "double feed". I've only seen it in
a highly modified USPSA Open Division Glock, but it does exist.

By "double feed" I mean the fired case extracted/ejected, and there is
a live round in the chamber with the slide trying to put in another live round
behind it.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:21 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2951 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 263

The live round in the chamber would have been put there by the slide stripping it of the top of the magazine. That round would have prevented the next round from coming up enough to strip off the top of the magazine. It would require something REALLY weird like the first round escaping the magazine during the rearward travel of the slide, a really defective magazine or some sort of shooter inducement.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 213 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
The live round in the chamber would have been put there by the slide stripping it of the top of the magazine. That round would have prevented the next round from coming up enough to strip off the top of the magazine. It would require something REALLY weird like the first round escaping the magazine during the rearward travel of the slide, a really defective magazine or some sort of shooter inducement.
You hit it--REALLY WEIRD. Took me a while to figure it out. Only happened
with an extended magazine. Glock 17, lightened slide, barrel holes and
compensator, shooting Major power factor ammo.

The Glock has a little ramp on the bottom of the slide that pushes the whole
stack of ammo down a bit as it comes back. For a nano-second, the ammo
column in the magazine is LOOSE--until the spring/follower reverse direction
and push everything back up against the feed lips.

If during that nano-second, the slide whacks back to full rearward travel,
it actually slaps the gun back a bit, popping the top loose round in the magazine out of the mag and into the chamber.

By the time the slide gets going the other way, the spring/follower has
pushed the ammo column up far enough for the slide to pick up a fresh
round.

Loaded round in the chamber---slide trying to push another one in behind it.

Goofy but true. When the gun would start doing it, I would stretch the mag spring just a bit---problem solved.