Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Ammo storage temperature issue (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/ammo-storage-temperature-issue-93361/)

Scratchammo 07-04-2013 05:17 PM

Ammo storage temperature issue

I live in an add-on & the ac/heater is off when I'm out. I have ammo cans filled & with desiccant. I keep them in my gun safe. Basically my room is like an attic when I'm gone. How bad is this? I plan on never using this ammo if I have to & I don't want to constantly rotate stock. I live in North Mississippi.

CHLChris 07-04-2013 05:32 PM

Temperature and humidity are both problems. Dessicant and ammo cans are dealing with the moisture. But high temps could be a problem.

You should get one of those digital thermometers that keeps track of high temperature. At least this way you'd be able to see what the high temp actually is in your safe each day. That would be a good start.

Scratchammo 07-04-2013 05:36 PM

Yeah, just got back from Walmart with a cheaper dial thermometer. I'll see how hot it gets.

CHLChris 07-04-2013 05:42 PM

Does it keep track of the high? I suppose you could just check it when you get home and turn on the AC. That would probably be the high, right?

Oh, another idea. How about opening the safe when you're at home so the AC can cool it (with dryer air, too). And then close it once it is cooler.

Scratchammo 07-04-2013 06:14 PM

It doesn't but should give me a general idea. I plan on looking when I get home each day. I'll put it in the .38/357 can since it's not completely full.

Scratchammo 07-04-2013 06:47 PM

It's not that hot in here right now. At the moment it's about 87 inside the can.

bfoosh006 07-06-2013 02:54 AM

While not as secure as your safe, if you bought a large camping cooler, and moved the ammo into it , it will certainly help stabilize the temp. fluctuations.

Scratchammo 07-06-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfoosh006 (Post 1296128)
While not as secure as your safe, if you bought a large camping cooler, and moved the ammo into it , it will certainly help stabilize the temp. fluctuations.

Never thought of that.

Txhillbilly 07-06-2013 03:22 AM

I've got ammo that is several decades old stored in ammo cans. It has spent most of the time in an un-insulated workshop for 20-25 years,and before that was just kept on a shelf in a closet.
As long as you keep it in a closed ammo can with a good gasket on the lid,you have very little to worry about. I've got a bunch of old Peter's shotgun shells and other cartridges from the 60's,and they shoot just as good as they did back then.
Moisture is your enemy,if the cans seal good,you have little to worry about.

pawjr74 07-06-2013 03:27 AM

I'm sure the folks over there in Afghanistan don't keep their ammo in air conditioned buildings. I've kept ammo in my garage here in Arizona for years and it has functioned fine. It does stay nice and dry here though. Moisture is the enemy.